The Master of Arts in Educational Leadership develops the next generation of principals and school administrators.
The Master of Arts in Educational Leadership (MAEL) is designed to prepare students for roles in PK-12 school leadership. The program is approved by the Michigan Department of Education and meets MDE Standards for the Preparation of School Principals. Successful program completers are eligible, upon recommendation by the College of Education, Health, and Human Services, to apply for the Michigan School Administrator Certificate.
The MAEL curriculum emphasizes the knowledge and skill base required to meet the opportunities and challenges of PK-12 school administration. The courses are designed to develop educational leadership competency and skills in organizational administration, curriculum development, instructional leadership, personnel, finance, applications of technology, school community relations, data analysis, legal and regulatory issues, and program evaluation. An internship in educational administration is required in the final year of the program. Courses are offered in the evening and in hybrid format to accommodate the working professional. A few classes are even offered fully online.
What will I Learn?
MDE Standards for the Preparation of School Principals:
- A school administrator is an educational leader who promotes the success of all students by facilitating the development, articulation, implementation and stewardship of a vision of learning that is shared and supported by the school community.
- A school administrator is an educational leader who promotes the success of all students by advocating, nurturing and sustaining a school culture and instructional program conducive to student learning and staff professional growth.
- A school administrator is an educational leader who promotes the success of all students by ensuring management of the organization, operations, and resources for a safe, efficient and effective learning environment.
- A school administrator is an educational leader who promotes the success of all students by collaborating with families and community members, responding to diverse community interests and needs and mobilizing community resources.
- A school administrator is an educational leader who promotes the success of the students by acting with integrity, fairness and in an ethical manner.
- A school administrator is an educational leader who promotes the success of all students by understanding, responding to, and influencing the larger political social, economic, legal and cultural context.
- A school administrator is an educational leader who understands and comprehensively applies technology to advance student achievement.
- A school administrator is an educational leader who synthesizes and applies knowledge and best practices and develops skills through substantial, sustained, standards-based work in real settings to advance student achievement.
Visit the University Catalog to learn more about required coursework for the M.A. in Educational Leadership.
Students must submit the follow items with their application.
The GRE is not required for admission to this program. The Office of International Affairs lists additional admission requirements for international students.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions attended
- 3.0 GPA or higher on submitted transcripts
- Three professional letters of recommendation
- Personal statement
- Valid state of Michigan elementary or secondary teaching certificate
Before exiting from the M.A. in Educational Leadership, you need to complete two steps:
The purpose of this survey is to assist the College of Education, Health, and Human Services with the evaluation of the master’s degree program and to serve as a guide for program development. The Exit Survey is a requirement for completion of the program. Submit the exit survey.
Department Contact Information
Bonnie Beyer, Ph.D.
313-593-5583, C23 FCS
To schedule an advising appointment with Dr. Beyer, please email her directly.