Fall Commencement is on Saturday, December 16, 2023
Confirm eligibility and apply to graduate
Complete by September 29, 2023
Meet with your academic advisor to make sure you can graduate this semester
Get ready for Commencement
Complete by November 17, 2023
New this year – all students must record their name in advance of the ceremony in NameCoach. Students will be given a pre-printed card, the day of commencement, with a QR code on the card. Students will have their card scanned as they walk across the stage during the ceremony and guests will hear the student-recorded name.
Students must record their name by Friday, November 17.
Instructions for recording your name:
Tips for recording your name:
Record your name with great enthusiasm!
Speak in a loud voice!
Recording should reflect great accomplishment and happiness on your graduation day!
If you do not feel comfortable recording your name, or if you are unable to record your name, a family member or friend can do the recording for you. Simply log into the system to have them record your name.
A NameCoach recording booth will be available at Grad Fair, November 1 and 2, at the Bookstore.
You may also elect to have a live name reader, at the ceremony, read your name at the ceremony.
August 2023 graduates can still access NameCoach with their UMICH credentials.
- The bookstore will host a Grad Fair, November 1 and 2, 10 am until 5 pm, in the bookstore, located in the Renick University Center
- You may purchase your cap and gowns, honor cords and any other grad-related accessories at this time
- Can’t make it to the Grad Fair?
- Stop by the bookstore any time before noon on Friday, December 15, to purchase your cap and gown. Please note they cannot guarantee size availability closer to commencement date
- Want to order online?
- Cap and gowns will also be available for purchase online and shipped to your home. Online purchases are for shipping only. Cap and gowns purchased online cannot be converted to in store pick up
- The last day to purchase cap and gowns online for ship to home will be November 15
- Custom doctoral regalia must be ordered by October 13
- The bookstore accepts credit/debit, Barnes & Noble gift cards and cash only
- For more information regarding the purchase of cap and gowns and related accessories, please contact the bookstore during regular store hours (Mon.-Thurs. 8 am - 4 pm, Fri. 8 am – 12 pm) by calling 313-593-5551 or by emailing email@example.com
- If you are unable to purchase a bachelors or masters gown for Commencement due to cost, please contact Kris Day (firstname.lastname@example.org) to borrow a gown
Tassel and Hood (for Doctoral and Masters degrees) colors
|Degree||Tassel Color||Hood Color|
|Doctor of Engineering (DEng)||Gold||Orange|
|Doctor of Education (EdD)||Gold||Light Blue|
|Doctor of Philosophy (PhD)||Gold||Dark Blue|
|Education Specialist (EdS)||Light Blue||Light Blue|
|Master of Arts (MA) – CASL||White||White|
|Master of Arts (MA) – Education||Light Blue||Light Blue|
|Master of Arts in Educational Leadership (MAEL)||Light Blue||Light Blue|
|Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)||Light Blue||Light Blue|
|Master of Business Administration (MBA)||Drab||Drab|
|Master Public Administration & Policy (MPAP)||Peacock Blue||Peacock Blue|
|Master of Science in Accounting (MSA)||Drab||Drab|
|Master of Science in Engineering (MSE)||Orange||Orange|
|Master of Science in Finance (MSF)||Drab||Drab|
|Master of Science (MS)||Science Gold||N/A|
|Bachelor of Arts, AB||White||N/A|
|Bachelor of Arts, AB – Education||Light Blue||N/A|
|Bachelor of Business Administration, BBA||Drab||N/A|
|Bachelor of Science, BS||Science Gold||N/A|
|Bachelor of Science in Engineering, BSE||Orange||N/A|
Students in all UM-Dearborn undergraduate programs with a cumulative GPA of 3.6 and above, and graduate students with a cumulative GPA of 3.9 and above are designated as graduating “With High Distinction”.
Likewise, students in the programs listed above who have an undergraduate cumulative GPA between 3.2 and 3.59 or a graduate cumulative GPA between 3.7 and 3.89 are designated as graduating “With Distinction”.
Graduation distinctions are not calculated and granted for College of Arts, Sciences, and Letters graduate programs affiliated with the Horace H. Rackham School of Graduate Studies.
- Degree candidates who qualify for Graduation Honors (Distinction and High Distinction) are invited to wear Honor Cords at the Commencement Ceremony
- If you qualify for Graduation Honors (based on current GPA), you are eligible to purchase an Honor Cord. Honor Cords will be available for purchase at the UM-Dearborn Barnes and Noble Bookstore
- All degree candidates who qualify for honor cords will receive an email notification from the Registrar’s Office by October 30
- If you have any questions regarding your eligibility, please contact the Registrar’s Office at email@example.com
- Each student will receive 4 tickets to the commencement ceremony
- Graduating students participating in the ceremony do not need a ticket for the ceremony
- Tickets may be picked up at the Grad Fair on November 1 and 2
- Can’t attend Grad Fair?
- You may pick up your commencement tickets at the One Stop, located inside the James C. Renick University Center - Suite 1145, beginning November 6, Monday-Wednesday and Friday - 8 am - 5 pm; Thursday - 8 am - 7 pm
- You must show your Mcard or state issued ID (driver’s license or passport) and a receipt that you purchased your cap and gown, to pick up your tickets
- Each guest must have a ticket. If a child will sit on the lap of a guest (age 2 or younger) no ticket is required for the child
If you are a remote student or unable to come to campus prior to commencement, you may have your tickets placed in Will Call to be picked up on the day of the ceremony.
Please email Kris Day at firstname.lastname@example.org with the number of tickets you would like held. Kris will share details about Will Call location and pick-up times.
All tickets must be claimed by Friday, December 8. If they are not claimed (picked up or in Will Call) the tickets will be released for other students who need extra tickets for their guests.
Need extra tickets?
- Ask a friend or classmate if they will be using their ticket allotment. Friends and classmates may give their tickets to others, after they pick them up
- Unclaimed tickets will be made available, on a first come first served basis, starting December 11
- Unclaimed tickets may be picked up at the One Stop office, located in 1145 Renick University Center, Monday-Wednesday and Friday - 8 am - 5 pm; Thursday - 8 am - 7 pm
Invitation letters for international guests
The Office of International Affairs (OIA), and now most U.S. colleges/universities, eliminated the practice of providing invitation letters to students. Since then, students holding an ACTIVE I-20 and F1 visa are encouraged to craft their own letters and provide that to their parents/family member(s). As a student holding an F1 visa you have the power and authority to do so, a letter from the university is no longer a necessity. Hundreds of UM-Dearborn students have used the invitation letter template below and have experienced no issues. We encourage you to use the OIA invitation letter template.
Day of Commencement
Complete by December 16, 2023
- Commencement ceremonies will be held in the Fieldhouse and will last 90 minutes
- Graduating students must arrive one hour prior to the ceremony
- Students are encouraged to wear business or business casual attire under their gowns
- Students may decorate and personalize caps. Please do so tastefully
- Graduating students must check in on the second floor of the Fieldhouse
- Doors open one hour prior to the ceremony start time for guests; seating is first come first served
- Parking is available in Parking Lots E7, E6 and E5 on the north side of the Fieldhouse
- All ceremonies will be livestreamed on UM-Dearborn’s Facebook or YouTube channels Links to the live stream will be posted on the UM-Dearborn homepage on the day of the ceremony
- Remember to leave the items below at home, they are prohibited
- Aerosol and Spray Cans
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Animals (except service animals for persons with a disability)
- Apparel or signage displaying profane or abusive language
- Balloons and balloon bouquets
- Cameras with a lens longer than 6 inches
- Containers of any kind (including coolers, thermoses, cups, bottles, cans, flasks)
- Flags with flagpoles
- Food of any kind
- Noisemakers (including but not limited to whistles, air horns, boom boxes, bull horns, kazoos, sirens, thunder sticks, vuvuzelas, etc.)
- Oversized bags (anything that cannot fit comfortably under your seat)
- Weapons of any kind
After the Ceremony
- Diplomas are mailed six to eight weeks after graduation
- Following the ceremony, the photography company (Grad Images) will upload the graduate email addresses in their system to get the proofs sent out to graduates. Grad Images is an independent company. Graduates can also go to Grad Images and use their last name to locate their images or reach out to their Customer Service Department (800-261-2576 or email@example.com) for additional information.
For more information
If you graduated in the summer 2023, or are expected to graduate this December, and would like to move your commencement ceremony to spring 2024, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
For commencement ceremony questions please contact - email@example.com.