Global Learning is one of the ten main priorities in the campus’ strategic plan.
This specific priority aims to “Educate students to recognize and appreciate differences across social and cultural boundaries, thereby building a community of diversity and inclusion that fosters global citizenship.”
Global Learning Defined
“The process of global learning…involves diverse people collaboratively analyzing and addressing complex problems that transcend borders.”
Doscher, S., & Landorf, H. (2018, Winter). Universal Global Learning, Inclusive Excellence, and Higher Education’s Greater Purpose. Peer Review, Vol. 20, No. 1.
Global Learning Outcomes
“Through global learning, students should 1) become informed, open-minded, and responsible people who are attentive to diversity across the spectrum of differences, 2) seek to understand how their actions affect both local and global communities, and 3) address the world’s most pressing and enduring issues collaboratively and equitably" (AAC&U Global Learning VALUE Rubric).
“Global learning does not aim to produce likeminded citizens or to foster uniform knowledge outcomes. In fact, global learners will likely disagree, both on norms and facts, but they will have the skills and aptitude to listen deeply, consider the perspectives of others, respectfully tolerate differences of opinion, and work toward meaningful solutions to shared problems” (Blondin & Gable, 2018).
Blondin, J. E., & Gable, R. (2018, Winter). Global Learning as Liberal Learning for All Majors. Peer Review, Vol. 20, No. 1.
Our Services & Support
- Study Abroad/Away & Exchange Support (including policies & procedures, new program creation, curriculum & assessment assistance)
- International Partnerships (including agreement protocols, templates, editing, approvals)
- Global Learning Classroom and Curriculum Resources (in collaboration with the Hub)
- Infrastructure Development to Support Global Learning (e.g., M-Navigator purchase and implementation support)
- Global Learning Extracurricular Programming (in collaboration with the Talent Gateway)
- Community Networking (for the development of global engagement options for students)
Preparing our graduates to become engaged citizens and creative leaders, ready to offer inventive solutions to regional, national and global challenges
--UM-Dearborn Mission and Vision