Grants are free money to help pay for college.

Grants are a form of gift aid (no service or repayment requirements) with eligibility based on need. To be considered for federal, state or university grants, a student must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)  at annually. Most grants are restricted to undergraduates at UM-Dearborn.  This is a sample award for illustration of proration when attending less than full-time.

While TEACH Grant recipients are required to complete the FAFSA each year, they are not required to demonstrate financial need.  In addition, TEACH Grant is available to eligible undergraduate and graduate students.



All these grants require a student to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and demonstrate need according to program criteria. Many programs have funding limitations. It is to a student’s advantage to file the FAFSA by the recommended filing deadline and respond promptly to any request for documents.

Federal Pell Grant

Pell Grant is a federal program with award ranges from $657 to $6,195. An Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of 0 results in an award of $6,195 based on full-time enrollment for the academic year. The Federal Pell Grant Program is considered the foundation grant to which all other sources are added to create a financial aid package. Pell Grant is one of the few programs that permit some students to receive a prorated portion of the award at a less-than-half-time enrollment status.

The Federal Pell Grant Program has lifetime eligibility limitations for all Pell Grant recipients.  Pell Grant recipients are eligible to receive a maximum of 12 full-time semesters of this grant.  Once a student has used 12 full-time semesters, he/she is no longer eligible for any additional Federal Pell Grant.  There is no appeal for this restriction.  For more information on the Federal Pell Grant Program limitations, visit

Students are able to track their eligibility used on on the LOG IN button to enter My Federal Student Aid. You need to enter some basic information to have access to your Federal Pell Grant usage and your student loans.  Great information at your fingertips--nice display of information too!

The limitations of financial aid eligibility impact financial aid and scholarship programs.  It is important to work closely with your academic advisor to stay on track to meet degree requirements to make the best use of financial aid funds.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

FSEOG is by the federal government to colleges and is used to help the neediest students. At the University of Michigan- Dearborn, FSEOG is reserved for students with Expected Family Contributions (EFC) of 0 and the maximum award is $1,200. Students must be enrolled at least half-time (6 credits).

Grants Awarded
(amount for each term)
(12+ credits)
(9-11 credits)
(6-8 credits)
Pell Grant $3,098 $2,323 $1,549
FSEOG $600 $450 $300
  100% of original offer 75% of original offer 50% of original offer
University of Michigan-Dearborn Grant

The University of Michigan-Dearborn Grant is to help needy students meet tuition costs. Student must demonstrate significant financial need.  Applicants are advised to complete their FAFSA by the priority deadline and submit all requested forms and documents to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships quickly.  Amount of awards vary.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant

When a parent or guardian has died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after the events of 9/11, dependent students can be considered for this grant.  The Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grant is for students who were less than 24 at the time of the parent's or guardian's death and is not eligible for the Federal Pell Grant based on need. The maximum award for the 2019-2020  academic year (disbursed on October 1, 2019 and before October 1, 2020) is $5,829.50.


The TEACH Grant provides assistance of up to a maximum of $3,764 annually if disbursed on or after October 1, 2019 and before October 1, 2020 to students whose intention is to teach in a "high need field (subject matter)" and intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low income families.  Unlike most need-based grant programs, the TEACH Grant is available to graduate students as well as undergraduates.

As a recipient, students agree to teach a "high need field", full-time, and for a minimum of four years within eight years following program completion.  The TEACH Grant will remain a grant if recipients meet specific criteria.  If recipients do not meet the criteria, the TEACH Grant converts to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan with interest calculated to the initial disbursement date(s).

In addition to completing the FAFSA, candidates must be a U.S. citizen or an eligible non-citizen and be enrolled in coursework necessary to begin a career in teaching. The University of Michigan-Dearborn currently considers students who are of senior status as an undergraduate or graduate students with a high grade point average and admitted to a degree granting program in the College of Education, Health, and Human Services (CEHHS) and pursuing majors that fulfill "high need fields" requirements.

The cumulative grade point average requirement for the TEACH Grant is 3.25 (on a 4.0 scale) for undergraduate and graduate students.  The degree programs currently considered are: Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, Master of Arts, Master of Arts in Teaching, and Master of Science.  Eligible majors at UM-Dearborn are:  Education, General Science, Mathematics and Mathematics Studies, Reading, Science Education, Science Studies, Special Education and Teaching.

High need fields are currently defined as: Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition, Foreign Language, Mathematics, Reading Specialist, Science, Special Education, and other programs as they are identified by the U.S. Department of Education.

More questions about TEACH, visit the TEACH FAQ.

TEACH Grant Entrance/Exit  Counseling Login

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

University Center (UC)
Back to top of page