SUBJECT: Provost Office Communication
I hope the semester is off to a good start and that you have eased back to the rhythms of the academic term and the winter. I’m happy to report that our Covid positive numbers are going down, just like in the rest of the state. Although we had a higher than usual Covid positive cases during the first week, we now are down to the teens, with only 4 cases last Friday.
As the Chancellor’s email provided much more COVID related information, I just wanted to share some updates on some important academic initiatives:
The 3-to-4 Conversion Initiative
- Dean Ann Lampkin-Williams (CEHHS) reported that HHS is working on the conversion of some of their courses and Education has decided to postpone as they are busy with their curriculum changes for the grade bands.
- Dean Martin Herscock (CASL) reported that some disciplines are ready to submit their changes, while others are working on it. CASL will also start looking at courses that belong in DDC in order to determine how best to move forward.
- Dean Raju Balakrishnan (COB) has reported that he put in place a task force to start looking at the conversion.
The funding proposals for each of the colleges were approved with work on the college-level initiatives underway or beginning shortly. Look for information from your dean and the college-specific plans around PBL moving forward. In addition, all four colleges will have faculty participating in the Worcester Polytechnic Institute’s PBL Collaborative.
Enrollment Management has been busy marketing the Wolverine Ready Scholars Affinity Groups to the incoming fall 2022 class. This program provides opportunities for students to be part of an affinity group that will engage them in practice-based learning and problem solving while leveraging existing programs.
- As a reminder, please register for the upcoming Digital Education Days scheduled for February 4, 9, and 15 which include keynote speakers, breakout sessions, and more!
- Save the date for the Engaged Scholarship Showcase for Friday, April 8 from 12:30pm - 4:30pm! Additional information and registration information will be forthcoming.
- Honors Scholars Convocation will take place on Tuesday, March 22nd. Please select your honors student if you have not already.
- Faculty Awards (6 categories): I encourage you to nominate faculty whom you think deserve this recognition. The deadline is next Monday, January 31st.
- As soon as the weather cooperates, we will announce the dates for the Provost Walk and Talks.
- The Office of the Provost will be hosting Provost Listening Sessions to meet with you and hear your thoughts about how the Winter 2022 semester has been going, along with any other topics that are on your mind! Please sign up for these sessions below:
Tuesday, March 8th, 1:00-2:00 p.m.
Wednesday, March 9th, 2:00-3:00 p.m.
Thursday, March 10th, 1;00-2:00 p.m.
Friday, March 11th, 1;00-2:00 p.m.
If you haven’t done so yet, please get the booster shot (you can get one at our clinic on campus) and upload your record. Finally, I would like to thank you all for your work and commitment to a safe return to campus and to the new semester.
With all best wishes,
Interim Provost & Executive Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs