John Cherng, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus of Mechanical Engineering
College of Engineering and Computer Science
Department of Mechanical Engineering
1296 Heinz Prechter Engineering Complex | 4901 Evergreen Road | Dearborn, MI 48128
Teaching Areas:Automotive and Mobility Systems Engineering, Mechanical Engineering
Research Areas:Automotive Engineering, Power Electronics and Energy Systems, Vibrations and Mechanics
Biography and Education
Areas of Research Interests
- Acoustics and Vibration Analysis
- Acoustical Material
- Vehicle NVH Controls
Ph.D., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Tennessee, 1978
M.S., Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, University of Tennessee, 1975
B.E., Marine Engineering, National Taiwan Marine College and Oceanic Technology, 1967
- Cherng, J. G., “Designing Automotive Vehicle Acoustic Packages Using Statistical Energy Analysis,” Recent Research Development in Sound and Vibration, 1253-280, ISBN:81-7895-031-6. Transworld Research Network, India.
- Cherng, J.G., Goktan, A., French, M, Gu, Y., and Jacob, N., “Improving Drive Files for Vehicle Road Simulations,” Journal of Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing, 15(5), 1007-1022, September 2001.
- Sadasivam, R., Cherng, J.G., and Mallick, P.K., “ Dynamic Response of Impact Damaged Random Fiber Automotive Composites,” Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites, Vol. 19, No. 2, pp124 -136, 2000.
- Cherng, J. G., Tong, G., Pipis, J., and Gazala, R., “Characterization of Air-Borne Noise of Shock Absorber by Using Acoustics Index Method,” SAE Transaction, Vol. 108, Journal of Passenger Cars, Section 6, pp. 3052 – 3061, 1999.
- Cherng, J.G., Shao, X. Y., Chen, Y.B., and Sferro, P.R., “Feature-Based Part Modeling and Process Planning for Rapid Response Manufacturing,” Journal of Industrial Engineering, Academic Press, U. K., Vol. 34, No. 2, pp. 515-530, 1998.