Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, UM-Dearborn classes are being held remotely through the end of the semester, Summer I and Summer II. Most campus operations are being conducted remotely and buildings are closed. Before coming to campus please call ahead to determine how services are being delivered. Events have been postponed or canceled, including Spring 2020 Commencement. For more updates please visit the Coronavirus information page

Resources for International Students

International students have limited support for their studies in the United States.

Eligible Canadian Citizens, or Landed Immigrants, or Mexican Citizens

International Undergraduate Scholarship

The International Undergraduate Scholarship awards an annual scholarship of $10,000 for up to four years (each award valued at $40,000 for a period of up to four years).

Scholarship renewal is subject to an annual review. Recipients are required to maintain a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 and maintain full-time enrollment.

For Graduate International Students, the Non-Residential Graduate Tuition Scholarship

Additional information can be obtained from your college advisor.

There are a number of private scholarship websites that are geared to international students.  These websites are excellent resources and dedicated to promoting international study.

There are also private loans that are available to international students.  Typically international students are eligible only with a creditworthy cosigner, who must be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident. Some lenders require that the student borrower have a Social Security Number.

To qualify for need-based aid from federal and university sources, students must be a U.S. citizen or national or be an eligible non-citizen.  Eligible non-citizens include student who have one of the following USCIS (United States Citizenship Immigration Services):

Permanent Residents

Check your documents to see if you qualify as a permanent resident who could be eligible for aid from the U.S. Department of Education.

  • I-151, I-1551, or I-551C (Alien Registration Receipt Card)

Other Eligible Non-Citizens

Check your documents to see if you meet the expanded categories of eligible non-citizens who could be eligible for aid from the U.S. Department of Education.
  • An Arrival-Departure Record (1-94) showing one of the designations to be considered eligible:
  • "Refugee"
  • "Asylum Granted"
  • "Indefinite Parole" and/or "Humanitarian Parole"
  • "Cuban-Haitian Entrant, Status Pending"
  • "Conditional Entrant" (valid only if issued before April 1, 1980)
  • Certain Native American students born in Canada with a status under the Jay Treaty of 1789 may be eligible
  • You hold a "T visa" (for victims of human trafficking) or your parent holds a "T-1" nonimmigrant status
  • You are a "battered immigrant-qualified alien" who is a victim of abuse your citizen or permanent resident spouse or you are the child of person designated as such under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

There is also limited Federal Student Aid eligibility for the citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau.

A Notice of Approval to Apply for Permanent Residence (I-171 or I-464) does not provide an eligible status for federal student aid.

Students who have a visa status of F-1 or F-2, J1 or J2 or G series are not eligible for any federal student aid.

The Office of International Affairs is a resource for all international students.  It is located at
780 Town Center Drive, Room 108, Dearborn, MI  48126.  Many services are provided and can be a great assistance to students.

Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships

University Center (UC)
Back to top of page