The Spring 2020 Commencement Ceremony, scheduled for Sunday, April 26 has been canceled due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
University leadership has discussed various ideas, done research into options and alternatives, collaborated with colleagues on campus and throughout the University of Michigan system and weighed predictions around how long this pandemic could last.
Spring 2020 graduates will be celebrated throughout the year in a variety of ways.
The following alternative plans have been created to celebrate the Spring Class of 2020:
- All graduates are invited to upload a photo, major, plans after graduation and message to fellow graduates. The university will utilize submissions to recognize graduates on a special Spring 2020 Graduate website. The site will go live the week of April 13. Content will also be shared on university social media channels.
- On Sunday, April 26, graduates will receive a special message via email.
- In June, graduates will receive their diploma in the mail, along with a diploma cover and an alumni gift.
- All Spring 2020 graduates will be recognized at the Alumni BBQ on August 15 and at an event during Homecoming Week, currently scheduled for the week of October 19. Details will be shared closer to the date.
- All spring and summer semester graduates will be invited to participate in the winter ceremony, scheduled for Saturday, December 19, at the UM-Dearborn Fieldhouse. You may register now for the December commencement ceremony. Please note, based on participation numbers, the ceremony may be spread out over two days to best accommodate graduates and their guests.
- The bookstore has reopened the portal to purchase your cap and gown. Please click here to review the information. There is a dedicated area for cap and gown purchases. Orders must be placed by April 30. If you wish to participate in the December ceremony, you will receive information about cap and gown purchases in the fall.
If you have any questions about these arrangements, please email, email@example.com.