- Gomez Zubieta DM, Hamood MA, Beydoun R, Pall AE and Kondapalli KC. MicroRNA-135a regulates NHE9 to inhibit proliferation and migration of glioblastoma cells. Cell Communication and Signaling. 2017; 15(1):55.
- Beydoun R, Hamood MA, Gomez Zubieta DM and Kondapalli KC. Na+/H+ Exchanger 9 Regulates Iron Mobilization at the Blood Brain Barrier in Response to Iron Starvation. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2017; 292(10):4293-4301.
- Kondapalli KC, Todd Alexander R, Pluznick JL and Rao R. NHA2 is expressed in distal nephron and regulated by dietary sodium. Journal of Physiology and Biochemistry. 2016; 73(2):199-205.
- Kondapalli KC, Llongueras JP, Capilla-González V, Prasad H, Hack A, Smith C, Guerrero-Cázares H, Quiñones-Hinojosa A and Rao R. A leak pathway for luminal protons in endosomes drives oncogenic signalling in glioblastoma. Nature Communications. 2015; 6:6289.
- Kondapalli KC, Prasad H and Rao R. An inside job: how endosomal Na(+)/H(+) exchangers link to autism and neurological disease. Frontiers in Cellular Neuroscience. 2014; 8:172.
- Kondapalli KC, Hack A, Schushan M, Landau M, Ben-Tal N and Rao R. Functional evaluation of autism-associated mutations in NHE9. Nature Communications. 2013;4:2510.
- Kondapalli KC, Kallay LM, Muszelik M and Rao R. Unconventional chemiosmotic coupling of NHA2, a mammalian Na+/H+ antiporter, to a plasma membrane H+ gradient. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2012;287(43):36239-50.
- Cook JD, Kondapalli KC, Rawat S, Childs WC, Murugesan Y, Dancis A and Stemmler TL. Molecular details of the yeast frataxin-Isu1 interaction during mitochondrial Fe-S cluster assembly. Biochemistry. 2010;49(40):8756-65.
- Kondapalli KC, Bencze KZ, Dizin E, Cowan JA and Stemmler TL. NMR assignments of a stable processing intermediate of human frataxin. Biomolecular NMR assignments. 2010;4(1):61-4.
- Kandegedara A, Thiyagarajan S, Kondapalli KC, Stemmler TL and Rosen BP. Role of bound Zn(II) in the CadC Cd(II)/Pb(II)/Zn(II)-responsive repressor. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2009;284(22):14958-65.
- Kondapalli KC, Kok NM, Dancis A and Stemmler TL. Drosophila frataxin: an iron chaperone during cellular Fe-S cluster bioassembly. Biochemistry. 2008;47(26):6917-27.
- Hakemian AS, Kondapalli KC, Telser J, Hoffman BM, Stemmler TL and Rosenzweig AC. The metal centers of particulate methane monooxygenase from Methylosinus trichosporium OB3b. Biochemistry. 2008;47(26):6793-801.
- Pastore A, Martin SR, Politou A, Kondapalli KC, Stemmler T and Temussi PA. Unbiased cold denaturation: low- and high-temperature unfolding of yeast frataxin under physiological conditions. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2007;129(17):5374-5.
- Lieberman RL, Kondapalli KC*, Shrestha DB, Hakemian AS, Smith SM, Telser J, Kuzelka J, Gupta R, Borovik AS, Lippard SJ, Hoffman BM, Rosenzweig AC and Stemmler TL. Characterization of the particulate methane monooxygenase metal centers in multiple redox states by X-ray absorption spectroscopy. Inorganic chemistry. 2006;45(20):8372-81. (*Equal contribution)
- Bencze KZ, Kondapalli KC, Cook JD, McMahon S, Millán-Pacheco C, Pastor N, and Stemmler TL. The structure and function of frataxin. Critical reviews in biochemistry and molecular biology. 2006;41(5):269-91.
- Hakemian AS, Tinberg CE, Kondapalli KC, Telser J, Hoffman BM, Stemmler TL, and Rosenzweig AC. The copper chelator methanobactin from Methylosinus trichosporium OB3b binds copper(I). Journal of the American Chemical Society. 2005;127(49):17142-3.
Johns Hopkins University, School of Medicine, Baltimore, Maryland
Postdoctoral training, Cellular and Molecular Physiology
Wayne State University, School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan
Ph.D., Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
Wayne State University, College of Science, Detroit, Michigan
M.S., Molecular Biotechnology
Brain is the most metabolically active organ in the body and has a high demand for iron. Iron is central to oxidative metabolism and is a cofactor in the synthesis of neurotransmitters and myelin. Loss of brain iron homeostasis involves many neurological diseases such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's and even cancer. To develop new therapeutics for this growing class of diseases, it is important to expand our understanding of the mechanisms regulating iron trafficking into the brain. Research in our laboratory is geared towards characterizing the mechanisms that regulate brain iron homeostasis, with special focus on understanding how dynamic brain-iron requirements are communicated to help regulate iron trafficking into the brain and how these mechanisms are altered in disease states.
Peer Reviewed Publications
Bencze KZ, Kondapalli KC, and Stemmler T L. X-Ray Absorption Spectroscopy in Applications of Physical Methods in Inorganic and Bioinorganic Chemistry, pp.513-528. 2007John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK
Kondapalli KC, Dancis A and Stemmler TL. Molecular Interaction between Frataxin and Ferrochelatase during Heme Assembly, Biochemistry: Synthetic Models and Cellular Systems. 2008. Vol. 1, ACS Publishing, Michael Baldwin and Eric Long, Eds, 17-30
- Member for
- 2 years 3 weeks