- Vehicle Dynamics and Vehicle Stability Augmented Systems: Integrated Chassis Control, Electronic Stability Program (ESP), Active Roll Control, Autonomous Vehicle
- System Modeling and Analysis: Mechanical, Electro-Mechanical, Hydraulic and Pneumatic systems, bond graph technique,
- Vibration Control: Passive and Active Tuned Vibration Absorber (TVA) Design
- Hybrid Vehicle Modeling and Control
- Adireddy, G., Shim, T., Rhode, D., and Asgari, J., "Combined Wheel Torque and Steering Control Based on Model Predictive Controller Using a Simplified Tire Model,"International Journal of Vehicle Design ,Vol. 65, No. 1, 2014, pp. 31-51.
- Yuan, H. and Shim, T., "Model Based Real-time Collision Free Motion Planning for Mobile Robots in Unknown Dynamic Environments," International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing , Vol. 14, No. 3,2013, pp.359-365.
- Shim, T., Adireddy, G. and Yuan, H. "Autonomous Vehicle Collision Avoidance Based on Path Planning and MPC, " Journal of Automobile Engineering-Part D,Vol. 226, No. 6, pp. 767-778, 2012
- Bhide, S. and Shim, T, "Novel Predictive Electric Li-ion Battery Model Incorporating Thermal and Rate Factor Effects," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol.60. No.3, pp.819-829, 2011
- Shim, T. and Velusamy, P., "Improvement of Vehicle Roll Stability by Varying Suspension Properties," Vehicle System Dynamics-International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility, Vol. 49, Nos. 1-2, pp. 129-152, 2011.
- Jung, J., Shim, T, and Gertsch, J. "A Vehicle Roll Stability Indicator Incorporating Roll Center Movements," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology,Vol. 58, No. 8, pp.4078-4087, 2009
- Ghike, C., Shim, T, and Asgari, J. "Integrated Control of Wheel Drive-Brake Torque for Vehicle Handling Enhancement, " Journal of Automobile Engineering-Part D,Vol. 223, No. 4, pp. 439-457, 2009
- Shim, T., Chang, S. and Lee, S., "Investigation of Sliding Surface Design on the Performance of Sliding Mode Controller in Antilock Braking Systems," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 57, No. 2, pp. 747-759, 2008
- Shim, T., Toomey, D., Ghike, C. and Sardar, H., "Vehicle Rollover Recovery Using Active Steering/Wheel Torque Control," International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 51-71, 2008
- Gertsch, J. and Shim, T. "Interpretation of Roll Plane Stability Models," International Journal of Vehicle Design ,Vol. 46, No. 1, pp. 72-93, 2008
- March, C. and Shim, T. "Integrated Control of Suspension and Front Steering to Enhance Vehicle Handling," Journal of Automobile Engineering-Part D, Vol. 221, No. 4, pp. 377-509, 2007
- Shim, T. and Ghike, C., "Understanding the Limitations of Vehicle Model for Roll Dynamics Study," Vehicle System Dynamics-International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility, Vol. 45, No. 3, pp. 191-216, 2007
- Kulkarni, M., Shim, T. and Zhang, Y., "Dynamics and Control for Dual-clutch Transmission Shift," Mechanism and Machine Theory, Vol. 42, No. 2, pp. 168-182, 2007
- Shim, T. and Velusamy, P., "Suspension Design and Dynamic Analysis of Lightweight Vehicle," International Journal of Vehicle Design, Vol. 43, Nos. 1-4, pp. 258-280, 2007
- Osborn, R. and Shim, T., "Independent Control of All-Wheel-Drive Torque Distribution," Vehicle System Dynamics-International Journal of Vehicle Mechanics and Mobility, Vol. 44, No. 7, pp. 529-546, 2006
Biography and Education
Professor Shim’s research interests include mathematical modeling and simulation of dynamic systems, active vehicle safety, vehicle dynamics, control of vehicle stability, vehicle rollover, and modeling and control of hybrid electric vehicle. His research has been funded by Ford Motor Company, General Dynamics Land Systems, TRW Automotive, and Hyundai/Kia Motor on projects related to active vehicle safety, hybrid electric vehicle, and advanced driver assistance systems. He is the author or co-author of over 80 publications in refereed journals and conference proceedings and 6 US patents. Dr. Shim serves as an editor for the IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology. He has served as Chair of the ASME Automotive and Transportation System Technical Committee from 2016-2018. He is a recipient of 2008 Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) Ralph R. Teetor Educational Award and a Distinguished Faculty Research Award at University of Michigan-Dearborn in 2016. He has been elected a fellow of ASME(2019). He was honored with the Ford Motor Company's first ever Ford Motor Company Innovation Fellow Award for Truck Towing Tech(2019).
Areas of Research Interests
Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Davis, 2000
M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of California, Davis, 1997
B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Hankuk Aviation University, Korea, 1992
Teaching and Research
- Member for
- 3 years 4 months