Media Production Certificate
The Media Production Certificate offers students a carefully tailored program in digital media practices including video production and audio production in the field and studio, broadcasting, and new media. The certificate provides technical training while building skills in multiple modes of storytelling and creative expression, including narrative, documentary, and experimental forms. Courses in the program also link practical and applied work with theoretical concepts in film and media studies.
Students can expect hands-on learning with professional cameras, audio equipment, and editing software, including Adobe Creative Cloud and DaVinci Resolve. Students will develop skills both in field and studio production in CASL's Media Studio.
Earn this certificate to expand not only your technical skills, but to develop proficiency in storytelling, teamwork, and communication. These fundamental and versatile skills in digital media can be applied to a variety of future careers, including marketing, journalism, web design, public relations, broadcasting, entrepreneurship, nonprofit administration, and more.
Information about the Certificate
- For degree seeking students, a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and a minimum of twelve earned hours completed at UM-Dearborn are required to earn the certificate. To earn the certificate as a degree seeking student, complete the requirements for the certificate and follow the instructions for declaring.
- Non-degree seeking students must submit all educational transcripts along with an original 3-5 page paper academic paper analyzing any aspect of film or television. The JuMP Discipline Coordinator will then determine admission into the program. To apply as a non-degree seeking student, follow the instructions.
A minimum of 16 credit hours is required.
12 Hours of Required courses:
JASS 248: Storytelling Across Media
JASS 350: Intro to Media Production
JASS 410: Directing and Editing Capstone
1 class in electives, chosen from the following courses:
JASS 305 Podcasting
JASS 309 Video for Social Media
JASS 312 Media Performance & Studio Production
JASS 315 Media Production for Metropolitan Community*
JASS 345 Audio Production
JASS 405 Storytelling, Experiments, and Play
JASS 406 Documentary & Photojournalism**
JASS 467 Script-Writing Workshop***
JASS 312 (4), JASS 315* (4), JASS 405 (4), JASS 406** (4), JASS 421*** (4), JASS 467*** (4)
* JASS 315 is a Project-Based Learning (PBL) Course
** JASS 406 is a DDC Intersections and Arts & Humanities Course
*** Both JASS 406 and JASS 467 are available online. JASS 467 is also a DDC Upper-Level Writing Course.
- A maximum of eight credit hours may simultaneously count toward the Media Production Certificate and the JASS major.
- A maximum of two transfer courses (eight credit hours) may count toward the Media Production Certificate.
- No pass/fail courses are allowed in the certificate.
- Courses in the certificate may share with minors.
- Up to eight credit hours may be shared with other certificates.
- A minimum 3.0 GPA in the courses counting toward the Media Production Certificate and a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA are required at the time of graduation and/or posting of the certificate.
The certificate has three primary goals. Students earning the certificate should be able to:
- Effectively communicate to a targeted audience through digital multimedia technology
- Understand the link between media production theory and practice
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to the production and reception of media texts.