Media Production Certificate
The Media Production Certificate offers students a carefully tailored program in digital media practices including video production and audio production in the field and studio, broadcasting, and new media. The certificate provides technical training while building skills in multiple modes of storytelling and creative expression, including narrative, documentary, and experimental forms. Courses in the program also link practical and applied work with theoretical concepts in film and media studies.
Students can expect hands-on learning with professional cameras, audio equipment, and editing software, including Adobe Creative Cloud and DaVinci Resolve. Students will develop skills both in field and studio production in CASL's Media Studio.
Earn this certificate to expand not only your technical skills, but to develop proficiency in storytelling, teamwork, and communication. These fundamental and versatile skills in digital media can be applied to a variety of future careers, including marketing, journalism, web design, public relations, broadcasting, entrepreneurship, nonprofit administration, and more.
Information about the Certificate
- For degree seeking students, a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and a minimum of twelve earned hours completed at UM-Dearborn are required for admission to the program.
- Non-degree seeking students must submit all educational transcripts along with an original 3-5 page paper academic paper analyzing any aspect of film or television. The JASS Discipline Coordinator will then determine admission into the program.
A minimum of 15 credit hours is required.
12 Hours of Required courses: JASS 248 (3), JASS 345 (3), JASS 350 (3), JASS 410 (3)
1 class in electives, chosen from the following 5 courses: JASS 312 (3), JASS 315* (3), JASS 405 (3), JASS 406** (3), JASS 421*** (3), JASS 467*** (3)
- * JASS 315 is an Academic Service-Learning Course
- ** JASS 406 is a DDC Intersections and Arts & Humanities Course
- *** Both JASS 421 and JASS 467 are available online. JASS 467 is also a DDC Upper-Level Writing Course.
- A maximum of nine credit hours may simultaneously count toward the Media Production Certificate and the JASS major.
- A maximum of two transfer courses (six credit hours) may count toward the Media Production Certificate.
- No pass/fail courses are allowed in the certificate.
- Courses in the certificate may share with minors.
- Up to 9 credit hours may be shared with other certificates.
- A minimum 3.0 GPA in the courses counting toward the Media Production Certificate and a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA are required at the time of graduation and/or posting of the certificate.
The certificate has three primary goals. Students earning the certificate should be able to:
- Effectively communicate to a targeted audience through digital multimedia technology
- Understand the link between media production theory and practice
- Apply critical thinking and problem-solving skills to the production and reception of media texts.