The Certificate in Public Relations offers students practical training in the contemporary skills of public relations.
For communication majors, it provides an ideal way to complement their broad-based study of communication with the practical skills necessary for entry level work in public relations.
This certificate is also open to all majors across campus, and provides a useful toolkit that will be an excellent complement for any major in liberal arts, business, education, or engineering. The addition of a public relations certificate to these areas highlights the practical skills necessary for a variety of careers in the business, non-profit, or government sector.
By the time students complete the PR certificate they should have met the following program goals:
- Understanding the history and evolution of the public relations field
- Understanding public relations principles as applicable to a variety of contexts and publics
- Appreciating the ethical dimensions of public relations practice
- Writing public relations materials using a variety of traditional and new tools, including social media applications
- Applying public relations principles in analyzing a variety of situations in multiple cultural contexts
- Integrating the theory and practice of public relations in multiple contexts
PR Certificate Requirements
A minimum of 18 credit hours required.
Required courses: COMM 260 (3), 300 (3), 360 (or 440 prior to W’14) (3), 460 (3), 477 (3); JASS 2015 (3)
NOTES REGARDING PR CERTIFICATE PROGRAM:
1. A minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA and a minimum of twelve earned hours completed at UM-Dearborn are required for admission to the program.
2. A maximum of nine credit hours may simultaneously count toward the PR Certificate and the Communication major
3. A maximum of two transfer courses (six credit hours) may count toward the PR Certificate.
4. A minimum 2.0 GPA in the courses counting toward the PR Certificate and a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA are required at the time of graduation and/or posting of the certificate.