Secondary Grade Band Certification
Prepares you to teach in a content classroom within the grade band(s) selected.
The B.A. in Secondary Education provides students with the content knowledge needed to instruct a specific subject (English Language Arts, Math, Integrated Science, or Social Studies) to adolescents in secondary grades. The major has a set of core requirements that students in all concentrations are required to take. These requirements include content, foundational, and methodological coursework.
Students pursuing the major in Secondary Education will be required to take two Apprenticeship courses and a semester long internship. Field experience is an integral component of teacher preparation.
What will I Learn?
Candidates for certification in Secondary Education will be:
- Knowledgeable in content relevant to their chosen grade band.
- Capable of translating pedagogical knowledge into practice.
- Capable of integrating educational technology to support learning.
- Minimum 2.75 GPA overall, in major, and in concentration
- Minimum 120 credit hours
- Completion of general education, major, and upper level credit requirements
General Program Information
- Bachelor of Arts - Secondary Education
- Course Requirements
Students in the Secondary Education major are required to select at least one concentration from:
- 5th-9th Grade English Language Arts
- 7th-12th Grade English Language Arts
- 5th-9th Grade Math
- 7th-12th Grade Math
- 5th-9th Grade Integrated Science (expected to be available starting Fall 2024)
- 7th-12th Grade Integrated Science (expected to be available starting Fall 2024)
- 5th-9th Grade Social Studies (expected to be available starting Fall 2024)
- 7th-12th Grade Social Studies (expected to be available starting Fall 2024)
CEHHS Office for Student Success
2150 Social Sciences Building (SSB)