Please select your program level

More Information

Academic Policies

The College of Education, Health, and Human Services follows all UM-Dearborn academic policies and procedures.

The following UM-Dearborn policies may be of great interest to CEHHS students. Additional College of Education, Health, and Human Services policies are also listed below.

Highlighted UM-Dearborn Policies

Additional College of Education, Health, and Human Services Policies and Procedures

Degree Works

Degree Works is a web-based degree audit tool that will help students electronically monitor their progress toward degree completion. This tool greatly enhances and assists students in navigating curriculum requirements.

Visit the Office of the Registrar's Degree Works page for helpful how-to information.

  1. Students who are pursuing Secondary Certification with a CASL degree must select "TCERT" under "Degree" in order to see CEHHS requirements.
  2. Students who are curious about Secondary Certification may follow these instructions to explore a "What If?" scenario to find out program requirements:
    • Degree: Select "Teacher Certification"
    • Catalog: Select the catalog year that matches the year you will select that major
    • Major: Select Secondary
    • Minor: Optional
    • College: Select CEHHS
    • Concentration: Major (e.g. biology, chemistry, etc.)
    • Click ‘Process What If Audit'
Registration & Add/Drop


The College of Education, Health, and Human Services follows all UM-Dearborn policies and procedures for registration. Please see the Office of Registrar for more information.

Add/Drop Policy

UM-Dearborn has adopted a new policy for adding and dropping courses after the start of the semester. Within the first week of the drop/add period of a semester, the registrar will be able to add students to a course. Beginning in the second week of the drop/add period, students will only be added to a course with the approval of the instructor of record.

Coursework at Other Institutions

If you are a CEHHS degree-seeking student at UM-Dearborn and in good academic standing, you may elect to take a course(s) as a guest student at another college or university. Please review the university requirements and conditions for taking courses outside UM-Dearborn.

Recommended Steps to Follow Prior to Taking Courses at Other Institutions

CEHHS students are highly encouraged to speak with a CEHHS advisor prior to taking courses at another institution. To assure the process goes smoothly, we recommend following these steps:

  1. Make an appointment with a CEHHS academic advisor to add a swirling plan to your advising file (recommended).
  2. Verify that you are within allowable credit limits and residency hours, and that the course is transferable. The Transfer Request Equivalency Verification Form may be filled out to assist with verification (recommended).
  3. Complete a MACRAO Guest Application and submit per campus instructions (required).
  4. Submit or request official transcripts to CEHHS when course taken off campus is completed (required).

It is important that you understand the process of guest attendance and the transferability of courses prior to the semester enrolled. Specific maximum transfer totals, as well as residency requirements are critical when taking courses at other institutions. Students electing to take courses at other institutions should also be aware of implications regarding financial aid. You are responsible for knowing and understanding your financial aid.


Deadlines related to registration and graduation, as well as the academic calendar, can be found through the following links. The College of Education, Health, and Human Services follows other deadlines, such as petition deadlines and student teaching deadlines, as listed below.

UM-Dearborn Deadlines

Petition Deadlines

  • All petitions are due by the 15th of each month or they will not be acted upon until the following month

Student Teaching Deadlines

Student Teaching Application Meeting Deadline:

  • Fall Semester Student Teaching - Must attend application meeting in September

  • Winter Semester Student Teaching - Must attend application meeting in February

Student Teaching Application Deadline:

  • Fall Student Teaching - April 1

  • Winter Student Teaching - October 1

Professional Standards Committee Petitions

Use this form to request an exception to regular rules governing program completion.

Petitions Form

Calculating Your GPA

Trying to decide what grades you need this semester to reach your GPA goal? CEHHS has developed a tool to help you calculate multiple possibilities and stay on track!

  1. Go to the CEHHS GPA Calculator.
  2. Download the Excel file to your computer ("Download" button is located in the upper right corner of the screen).
  3. Double-click on the file to open it (To use this file you need Microsoft Excel installed in your computer).
  4. Enter your course, the term you took it, the number of credit hours, and utilize the grading key to enter your anticipated grade in quality points.
  5. The sheet is set up to calculate your total number of credits and quality points to provide your expected GPA. 

CEHHS Office of Student Success

262 -
Fairlane Center South (FCS)
Back to top of page