Student Food Pantry
About the Pantry
As part of the UM-Dearborn Community, the Student Food Pantry exists to support students on their journey as they work toward achieving their goals. We are committed to increasing access to food as a key to success, by providing assistance to any student in need. All UM-Dearborn students are welcome, and everything is free. Students are welcome to visit up to twice per month.
In the summer of 2012, students and staff from the UM-Dearborn Community recognized that many students on campus did not have regular access to food. Understanding that food insecurity and inaccessibility was proving to be a barrier to students ability to be successful, the CIViC team, in collaboration with various partners across campus, worked to create and establish the UM-Dearborn Student Food Pantry.
The UM-Dearborn Student Food Pantry was officially dedicated on January 21, 2013, the day which marked the 20th anniversary of the University's MLK Day of Service.
Fall 2023 ELIGIBILITY & HOURS
Individuals must be a currently enrolled UM-Dearborn student with a M-Card. The UM-Dearborn Student Food Pantry is located inside of Dearborn Support in suite 2130a in the Renick University Center. To use the pantry, no registration is needed. New and returning clients are welcome during any open hours.
- Monday: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
- Tuesday: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
- Wednesday: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
- Thursday: 9:00 AM - 7:00 PM
- Friday: Closed
- Saturday: Closed
- Sunday: Closed
Please note that our pantry is entirely staffed by dedicated volunteers, as a result the hours may vary unexpectedly.
In an effort to respect privacy of our shoppers, a limited number of students will be allowed to shop in the pantry at one time.
Please bring your M-Card or Client Service Card with you.
FOOD PANTRIES NEAR YOU
Check out this list of other pantries, searchable by zip code.
We need your help.
To keep our pantry stocked, we rely on the generous donations from our university and community.
Donations can be dropped off in Dearborn Support (2130 A).
No amount is too small! All monies help us to replenish our shelves! The Student Food Pantry appreciates monetary donations for a number of reasons.
First, it gives us the opportunity to replenish our shelves with items that we currently need based on our current supply.
Second, through our community partners, we are able to buy food at negotiated lower prices, that are most often lower than what others can find at local discount grocery stores.
- How can donations be made?
- GIVE NOW - we are now pleased to accept gifts online
- Donations are accepted in the Dearborn Support office (University Center 2130). Inquiries can be made to DearbornSupport@umich.edu or 313-593-5056.
- What can a donation mean to the Student Food Pantry?
- $5 -- can allow us to purchase enough to fill a small grocery bag full of essentials like veggies, meats, and grains.
- $10 -- can allow us to purchase enough to fill two small grocery bags full of essentials.
- $25 -- can feed a couple of students for a week, helping to ease the burden of food insecurity.
- $50 -- can buy supplies for the food pantry for a week, keeping us stocked to serve our students.
- $100 -- can help secure the Student Food Pantry's future, helping us to create lasting change on campus.
We do not take expired items. Preferred items include:
- Canned beans, tuna, chicken, lentils, peanut butter
- Cereal, oats, granola bars
- Juice, coffee, tea
- Rice, pasta, noodle kits, Ramen, sauces
- Snack items (crackers, nuts, chips)
- Canned or dried fruit and vegetables
- Herbs, spices, salt, pepper, flavor packets
- Ketchup, mustard, BBQ sauce, salad dressing
- Flour, oil, sugar, baking mixes
Travel/sample sizes are welcome! Preferred items include:
- Shampoo, Conditioner
- Bar soap, body wash
- Deodorant, lotion, razors
- Hand soap, sanitizer, masks
- Toilet paper
- Toothpaste, toothbrushes
- First Aid: band aids, ointments, sunscreen
- Baby items: diapers, baby food, wipes
Preferred items include:
- Paper towels
- Dish soap
- Laundry detergent
- Household sprays / wipes
- Sanitizing Wipes
Preferred items include:
- Loose leaf paper
- Pens / Pencils
- Index Cards, Sticky Notes
- Backpacks / Bags
Partner with the Pantry!
If your student organization or office/department is interested in collaborating on a food drive with the Student Food Pantry, please email email@example.com and let us know! We are always looking for new partners for our monthly food drives!