In fall 2015, the Council of Deans approved campus-wide Academic Program Review Guidelines with the shared goal of unifying and streamlining the process, which aligns with our goals for excellence in teaching, learning, and scholarship.
Explore the following resources, best practices, and workshop materials available to support programs through the program review process.
- Best Practices for Successful Self-Study Process -- University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- Practices and Strategies for External Reviews -- Susan Everett, University of Michigan- Dearborn, CEHHS
- Approaching the Self-Study as a Project Manager -- Marie Waung, University of Michigan- Dearborn, CASL
- Graduate Program Assessment -- Brahim Medjahed University of Michigan- Dearborn, CECS
- Opportunities, Challenges, and Strategies for Interdisciplinary Programs - Suzanne Bergeron, University of Michigan- Dearborn, CASL
A program review self-study should include an alumni survey of program graduates. By the end of September of a program's self-study year, the program will receive an Excel file of alumni contact data from the Office of Alumni Engagement. Please see the links below for information and tips on conducting an alumni survey.
- The purpose of program review is to conduct a comprehensive study of the program and use evidence to guide program improvement. Program review is informed by regular program assessment activities which investigate students' achievement of program learning goals and prompt Closing the Loop improvements. Visit the Hub's Assessment & Closing the Loop page for strategies and examples of activities around campus.
- Discipline's Response to External Review: External Reviewers are brought to campus during Year 2 of the Program Review process. Reviewers provide thoughts and feedback on curriculum, structure, and the program overall. Disciplines have a chance to respond to the reviewer's reports to correct any factual misinformation and react to comments. As a part of the response, Disciplines should craft an Action Plan (see next bullet point).
- Action Plans outline a program's initiatives moving forward after a program review and should be based on findings and recommendations made in the program's Self-Study, External Review report, and response from the Dean. Action Plans should be submitted by the end of the semester following submitting the program review.
Suggested Program Review Timeline
For details about the program review cycle for each degree and certificate please click on the Track One and Track Two Calendars below. Programs that have an external accreditor are placed in Track Two.
Questions about Program Reviews?
For questions about the program review process and the review calendar, please contact Jessica LaGrange, Academic Success Coordinator.
Director of Academic Success