Wolverine Emergency Support Fund
The University of Michigan-Dearborn understands that unexpected events can create serious hardships for students and their families.
As a UM-Dearborn student, you may experience an emergency situation or one-time, unforeseen event that results in an unexpected expense while enrolled in school. To support you during this time, the university offers assistance and other resources for students in such special circumstances.
Examples of situations that may warrant one-time financial support may include:
- Unexpected medical, dental, and mental health emergencies for the student not covered by medical insurance.
- Unexpected loss due to major events such as fire and natural disasters.
- Cost to travel home unexpectedly for a family emergency (death, illness, disaster, etc.)
The Wolverine Emergency Support Fund offers a financial award to help support students encountering an unforeseen emergency. The funding is limited to currently enrolled students attending the University of Michigan-Dearborn. This funding is intended to offer financial assistance during unexpected circumstances that impact a student’s ability to continue their studies. This award is not a long-term solution to fund a student’s education.
- Enrolled UM-Dearborn students at least half-time.
- Domestic students must have filed a FAFSA.
- International students.
- Exhausted federal student loans if eligible.
- Must be in good academic standing, meeting SAP requirements.
- Experiencing an unforeseen emergency (must be able to document).
Awards will vary based on the need, funding availability, and supporting documentation for the requested financial amount. Awards are allowable up to $2,000 during the academic year. The ability to award is based upon the availability of funds.
Steps To Apply:
- Review each step outlined above to ensure you qualify before moving forward.
- Set up a meeting with Dearborn Support as they will guide you through this emergency support application process request. Contact them at: [email protected].
- Apply here.
- Eligible students will see the information by clicking on Scholarships (or the Dollar icon) on the left-hand side of the page.
- A detailed statement of explanation, and supporting documentation to show emergency expenses. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications are reviewed on an individual rolling basis, and awards are based on the availability of funds. Applications are reviewed and approved by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships to determine if alternative sources of financial assistance are available to you, and you will be notified accordingly. Please allow 7-10 days for processing.
Staff will communicate with you through the application portal. You will also receive email notifications informing you of a response. You are strongly encouraged to closely monitor your email - including the spam folder - during this time to ensure you receive all messages.
Please note that if your application is approved, Emergency aid may be counted toward your total financial aid package and may affect your eligibility for other forms of financial assistance. Students may receive a maximum total emergency funding of $2,000 per academic year.
Encountering Financial Change?
If your family is encountering a change in financial circumstances, please review our Special Circumstance Information for guidance on submitting that request.
Questions regarding the Wolverine Emergency Support Fund? Please email [email protected].
Additional Support Resources
- Dearborn Support
- Student Food Pantry
- Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan (DSHIP) 2023-24
- Student Legal Services
- Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS)
- Disability Accessibility Services (DAS)
- Michigan 2-1-1
If you would like to give to the Wolverine Emergency Support Fund, please donate.
Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF)
HEERF Funds have all been exhausted. Information regarding the Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) expenditures can be found here.