Career Support for Your Students
Career Services welcomes you as a partner and campus citizen. We endorse the total development of our students and alumni.
Career Services provides support for students as they explore potential careers, prepare for jobs and develop the skills needed in today's workforce. We know that faculty and staff play a very important role in preparing our students for their life after their academic pursuits at UM-Dearborn, so we endeavor to collaborate with units and faculty across campus to ensure that our students have the skills needed to succeed in life after college. Whether it is providing a workshop or informational session for a specific class or collaborating with other peer mentoring groups on campus, the Career Services staff encourage faculty and staff to connect with us.
This is a printable flyer for faculty about our services.
To see how we support the student journey, visit our website. There you'll find tools you can share with students such as:
- assessment tools like Focus2Career or "What Can I Do With This Major?"
- resume, networking, and interview tips including Big Interview, a tool students can use to practice interviewing questions
- employment opportunities and job search tools
- career fair information
- information about salary information, employment trends, and other resources
We also encourage students to set up appointments with us to get individual advice and coaching. Students can do this through the main student portal.
How We Can Help
We are happy to connect with you on ways we can help you infuse career-readiness into your courses or offices. We can offer workshops, conduct mock interviews with your students, share resources and more. Below are a few additional examples - please contact us at [email protected] with your ideas and requests.
Career focused workshops are offered on demand for classes, student organizations, or programs, such as:
- Resume Workshop: Create or update resume, communicating experiences to employers.
- Cover Letter Workshop: Components of a cover letter, communicating skills and experiences to employers.
- Career Exploration Workshop: Resources helpful for exploring various majors and careers.
- Networking Tips Workshop: Tips for virtual and in-person networking, including informational interviews.
- LinkedIn Workshop: Create a LinkedIn profile, build a network, search for jobs, and more.
- Interviewing Strategies Workshop: Tips and resources to polish interviewing skills for internships/full-time positions and advice on virtual interviewing techniques.
- Translation of Skills Workshop: Identify key skills and accomplishments and practice translating appropriately for your field; tips for the resume, networking, and in an interview.
- Navigating the Job Search Workshop: Job search strategies, exposure to virtual job boards, and tips for applying to positions.
- Career Services/Talent Gateway Overview: Brief overview of programs and services of these areas.
Career Services coordinates the SEN to collaboratively align and leverage student employment efforts campus-wide through participating in campus-community engagement initiatives, department orientations, training, best practices, and other existing initiatives toward the development and retention of student employees, leading to increased student success.
For more information on the SEN, contact Jennifer MacLeod