Reverse Transfer

Earn your Associate Degree!

Reverse Transfer is a process where academic credits for course work completed at a four-year university are transferred back to your community college to satisfy associate degree requirements.  Some students transfer into 4-year universities before completing an associate degree at a community college, with a percentage of this group gaining a bachelor’s degree eventually through a combination of credits from both institutions. Through Reverse Transfer, a student’s achievements are recognized with an associate degree after they have transferred to a 4-year school and have accumulated the credits needed to fulfill the 2-year degree program requirements. It’s value added to your education!

Frequently Asked Questions

Reverse Transfer Agreement/Participating Community Colleges

The University of Michigan-Dearborn currently has Reverse Transfer Agreements with Henry Ford College, Kalamazoo Valley Community College, Macomb Community College, Oakland Community College, and Schoolcraft College. Under these partnership agreements, students attending UM-Dearborn could be granted an earned Associate Degree by combining credits from UM-Dearborn with the credits previously earned from these community colleges.  

UM-Dearborn is committed to helping our students earn all available credentials as they pursue their career goals.  To this end, work is ongoing to forge agreements with other area community colleges.

Criteria for Notification

If you have been recently enrolled at UM-Dearborn and transferred to UM-Dearborn from one of our partner community colleges, the Office of the Registrar will notify you via mail that you are eligible for review based on the criteria below for the potential awarding of your earned associate degree.
The initial criteria are:

Henry Ford Community College
  • 30+ credit hours earned at HFCC
  • 30+ credits earned at UM-Dearborn
  • Minimum GPA of 2.0 at UM-Dearborn
Kalamazoo Valley Community College
  • 45+ credit hours earned at KVCC
  • 15+ credits earned at UM-Dearborn
  • Minimum GPA of 2.0 at UM-Dearborn
Macomb Community College
  • 30+ credit hours earned at Macomb
  • 35+ credit hours earned at UM-Dearborn
  • Minimum GPA of 2.0 at UM-Dearborn
Oakland Community College
  • 40+ credit hours earned at OCC
  • 35+ credits earned at UM-Dearborn
  • Minimum GPA of 2.0 at UM-Dearborn
Schoolcraft College
  • 40+ credit hours earned at Schoolcraft
  • 20+ credits earned at UM-Dearborn
  • Minimum GPA of 2.0 at UM-Dearborn

If you attended other schools and have credits that may also be applied toward a possible associate degree from one or our partner community colleges, please have those transcripts sent also.  See the Contact Information section below for the appropriate address to send transcripts.* If you do not meet the criteria set forth above, but have a combination of credits earned that may meet the requirements to earn an associate degree at one of our partner community colleges, please follow “What steps do I take to begin the process?”.  Your records will be included in the review by your community college.

Contact Information

University of Michigan-Dearborn

Office of the Registrar

313-593-5697 FAX

To request UM-Dearborn transcripts for Reverse Transfer consideration, please use the Reverse Transfer Transcript Request form and forward to:

[email protected]


Office of the Registrar
1169 University Center
4901 Evergreen Rd
Dearborn, MI  48128-2406

Henry Ford College **

Holly Diamond, Registrar
Enrollment Services
5101 Evergreen Rd
Dearborn, MI  48128

Email: [email protected]

Kalamazoo Valley Community College **

Carey Stolsonburg
Degree Auditor
Kalamazoo Valley Community College
6767 West O Ave
PO Box 4070
Kalamazoo, MI  49009-4070
[email protected]


Macomb Community College **

Enrollment Services
14500 E 12 Mile Rd
Warren, MI  48088
Fax: 586-226-4787 Attn: Letitia Kaiser
Email: [email protected]


Oakland Community College **

Educational Counseling Services


Schoolcraft College **

Tracy Y.Miller
Schoolcraft College
18600 Haggerty Rd
Livonia, MI 48152-2696
[email protected]

** Transcripts from other schools or colleges intended for review by your community college for Reverse Transfer consideration should be sent to the contact name and address for your Community College.

Office of the Registrar

Outside 1600 - Social Sciences Building
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map
Phone: 313-583-6500
Fax: 313-593-5697