Student Food Pantry
About the Pantry
As part of the UM-Dearborn Community, the Student Food Pantry exists to support students on their journey as they work toward achieving their goals. We are committed to increasing access to food as a key to success, by providing assistance to any student in need!
In the summer of 2012, students and staff from the UM-Dearborn Community recognized that many students on campus did not have regular access to food. Understanding that food insecurity and inaccessibility was proving to be a barrier to students ability to be successful, the CIViC team, in collaboration with various partners across campus, worked to create and establish the UM-Dearborn Student Food Pantry.
The UM-Dearborn Student Food Pantry was officially dedicated on January 21, 2013, the day which marked the 20th anniversary of the University's MLK Day of Service. The Food Pantry, in just the short time it's been open, has distributed nearly 4,000 pounds of food. In addition, the Food Pantry has raised over 4,500 pounds of food and toiletry items, as well as $3,500 in financial contributions since that time.
Individual must be a currently enrolled UM-Dearborn student with picture ID. The UM-Dearborn Student Food Pantry is located in room 2130 in the University Center.
During Spring/Summer 2022, the Student Food Pantry will be open for in-person shopping during the following times:
- Tuesdays: 1:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- Wednesdays: 2:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Thursdays: 1:00 p.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Due to COVID-19, a limited number of students will be allowed to shop in the pantry at one time. If you visit, please bring your M-Card with you. Appointments outside of the hours listed above may be available by request by emailing email@example.com. You do not need to make an appointment to visit during the hours we are open for in-person shopping.
We will be closed July 11 - July 29 for remodeling. We re-open on Tuesday, August 2 at 1:00 PM. If you are seeking emergency support, please email DearbornSupport@umich.edu.
More hours for Spring/Summer 2022 may be posted as volunteer coverage allows.
FOOD PANTRIES AROUND CAMPUS
Not able to make it to the pantry on campus? Check out this list of other pantries in the area.
We need your help.
No amount is too small! All monies help us to replenish our shelves! The Student Food Pantry appreciates monetary donations for a number of reasons.
First, it gives us the opportunity to replenish our shelves with items that we currently need based on our current supply.
Secondly, through our community partners, we are able to buy food at negotiated lower prices, that are most often lower than what others can find at local discount grocery stores.
- How can donations be made?
- GIVE NOW - we are now pleased to accept gifts online
- Donations are accepted in the Office of Student Life (2136 University Center). Inquiries can be made to the Office of Student Life at 313-593-5390 for more information about donating.
- What can a donation mean to the Student Food Pantry?
- $5 -- can allow us to purchase enough to fill a small grocery bag full of essentials like veggies, meats, and grains.
- $10 -- can allow us to purchase enough to fill two small grocery bags full of essentials.
- $25 -- can feed a couple of students for a week, helping to ease the burden of food insecurity.
- $50 -- can buy supplies for the food pantry for a week, keeping us stocked to serve our students.
- $100 -- can help secure the Student Food Pantry's future, helping us to create lasting change on campus.
We do not take expired items. Preferred items include:
- High protein items such as tuna, chicken, or peanut butter
- Pasta and pasta sauce
- Snack items (crackers, nuts, etc)
Preferred items include:
- Toilet paper
Preferred items include:
- Paper towels
- Laundry detergent
Partner with the Pantry!
If your student organization or office/department is interested in collaborating on a food drive with the Student Food Pantry, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know! We are always looking for new partners for our monthly food drives!