Third-Party Sponsor Billing

Sponsored Students Terms and Conditions

Students whose tuition and fees are to be paid by an employer, agency, or other sponsor, must have authorization on file with the Student Accounts office. Vouchers are posted onto student accounts after the term's add/drop deadline or the 100% tuition and fees deadline

A voucher is a customized authorization form created by the student's third-party contact, stating a financial guarantee that student account charges will be paid based upon the authorizer's criteria.  A voucher can be submitted to Student Accounts via the drop box outside of the University Center building or emailed to [email protected].

  • Please be aware late payment fees may not be waived for vouchers submitted after the term has ended.

Unearned Military Tuition Assistance (TA) Funds Policy

Military Tuition Assistance (TA) is awarded to a student under the assumption that the student will attend school for the entire period for which the assistance is awarded. When a student withdraws, the student may no longer be eligible for the full amount of TA funds originally awarded. To comply with the Department of Defense (DoD) policy, UM-Dearborn is required to return unearned TA funds on a prorated basis through the 60 completion portion of the period for which the funds were provided. TA funds are earned proportionally during an enrollment period, with unearned funds returned based upon when a student stops attending.

In instances when a service member stops attending due to a military service obligation, UM-Dearborn will work with the affected Service member to identify solutions that will not result in a student debt for the returned portion.

In accordance with the DoD policy, UM-Dearborn will return any unearned TA funds through 60% of the semester on a prorated basis. The amount of unearned TA that is returned is based on the date of withdrawal from the course. After 60% of the semester has passed, TA will not be evaluated for a return to the DOD.

Schedule for returning unearned TA:

Full Term Course Drop or Withdrawal
Before or during weeks 1 -2             100% return
During weeks 3 – 6                            50% return
During week 7 – 9                              40% return
After week 9                                       No TA funds will be returned

Half Term Course Drop or Withdrawal
Before or during week 1                   100% return
During weeks 2– 3                             50% return
During week 4                                    40% return
After week 4                                       No TA funds will be returned

Department Of Defense Tuition Assistance

In certain circumstances, Veterans Administration (VA) Tuition Assistance (TA) may be refunded to students. VA students with tuition only paid by GI Bills may qualify for a refund if they withdraw from a course while maintaining an adequate attendance rate, dependent on the number of weeks the course was active prior to the individual course withdrawal. TA funds (GoArmyEd, MyCAA, etc) will be returned to the Department of Defense on a proportional basis, in accordance with government requirements, for any selective drop course(s) or withdrawal from the term. VA students with tuition paid by GI Bills and other financial aid payment types all in the same term may have the possibility of financial aid being reduced, depending on the rules of the aid type in question. Please review the terms and conditions of each financial aid award regarding unmet need when simultaneously using a GI Bill to pay tuition and fee charges. A refund of excess financial aid will only be issued if the award is allowable alongside the GI Bill.

VA Students

Certifications for the Veterans Administration are processed after the full drop/add registration period each term.

Using Michigan Education Trust (MET)

The Michigan Education Trust (MET) differs from Michigan Education Savings Plan (MESP) and other 529 savings plans.  MET allows families to buy credits to pay for public colleges and universities.  MET is Michigan’s guaranteed tuition program to pre-purchase undergraduate tuition and mandatory fee expenses. 

  • Student Accounts administers the MET Program at the University of Michigan-Dearborn
  • If you have a MET contract, you will need to complete and submit Form 3181 Notice to Use MET Benefits or go online to activate MET.
  • Students must notify MET of their intent to attend University of Michigan-Dearborn prior to the beginning of their first term of attendance.
  • MET will record the college, semester and year for the student enrolled.
  • A roster will be sent to the college each semester to allow the invoicing of tuition and mandatory fees as long as the student is eligible for MET benefits.
  • MET will not pay for lab and course fees. Students are responsible for paying these fees before the 100% tuition deadline to avoid late payment fees or accounting holds.
  • MET will not cover tuition at the graduate tuition rate. Students are responsible for paying the difference between the undergraduate tuition rate and the graduate tuition rate before the 100% tuition deadline to avoid late payment fees or accounting holds.
  • MET will not cover out-of-state non-resident tuition rates. Students are responsible for paying the difference between in-state tuition rate and out-of-state tuition rate before the 100% tuition deadline to avoid late payment fees or accounting holds.
  • No additional requests to use MET funds are required (unless there is a change).
  • If you have financial aid, scholarships or grants and would like MET to cover your entire tuition and receive a refund, please send an email to [email protected]  so your request can be processed.
  • Call MET at 800-638-4543 for assistance on Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.

Using Michigan Education Savings Program (MESP) and Other 529 Plans

MESP and standard 529 Plans allow flexibility in the use of the funds and are more like savings plans. 

  • MESP and other 529 Plans are administered by Student Accounts.
  • MESP is a savings plan that grows from regular contributions and investment growth.  For additional information about MESP, call 877-861-6377 or access the website.
  • Whether you have a MESP or another 529 account, you must contact the investment firm when you are ready to use the fund for educational and related expenses. 
  • The distribution from the investment firm can be sent directly to or submitted to Student Accounts.
  • The check should be in the amount the student owes for tuition and fees or the remaining balance in the savings plan. If the student's eStatement or student account balance is not available, this information can be obtained at
  • The funds must arrive on or before the 100% tuition & fees due date to avoid late fees.
  • MESP or the investment firm must be contacted each time a distribution is needed for educational or related expenses.

Payment Processing

Payment should be remitted via check and mailed to: 
University of Michigan-Dearborn
ATTN: Student Accounts, 1140AB
4901 Evergreen Rd
Dearborn, MI 48128-2406

Student Accounts

Outside 1600 - Social Sciences Building
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map
Phone: 313-593-5300
Fax: 313-593-3917