Undergraduate students interested in Engineering or Computer Information Science majors can be admitted into the College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS) in one of two ways:
1. Admission directly into a CECS major
- Students with a GPA of 3.5 or higher AND an SAT of 1200 (ACT of 25) or higher, or
- Students who have completed at least Pre-Calculus (Math 105 or equivalent) with a C grade or higher, or
- Students who place into Calculus 1 (Math 115) or higher on their placement exam or via the following automatic placements:
- SAT math section score of 620 or higher
- ACT math score of 26 or higher
- 3, 4, or 5 on an AP Calculus exam
- 5 or higher on an IB Mathematics SL exam or a 4 or higher on an IB Mathematics HL or HL Further exam
- Students who have completed Calculus II (Math 116 or equivalent) elsewhere with a C grade or higher AND have an overall GPA of 2.75 or higher.
2. Admission into the Pre-Engineering Program
- Students who satisfy the university's undergraduate admissions standards, but do not meet the above admission criteria for direct admission into CECS.
- Students will be required to show an overall transfer GPA of 2.75 or higher.
What is Pre-Engineering?
This program is designed to support students in building a stronger math and science foundation to be successful in the rigorous CECS curriculum. Pre-Engineering students will have excellent campus support in developing the fundamental knowledge our faculty have identified as key predictors of success in the engineering and computer science fields.
Transitioning from Pre-Engineering into a CECS Major:
Pre-Engineering students will work closely with START Academic Advisors to enroll in appropriate classes to help ensure their chances are optimized to be successful in the intensive curriculum that lies ahead. Students following the Pre-Engineering path are expected to complete the transition expectations (below) within one calendar year or within their first 30 credit hours at UM-Dearborn, whichever comes first. At the completion of one year or 30 credit hours, students are required to declare a major in CECS (if they qualify), or in a different academic college on campus (if they do not qualify). Some students may complete their Pre-Engineering coursework within one semester.
- Freshmen can transition once they successfully complete Pre-Calculus (Math 105) with a C grade or higher.
- Transfer students can transition once they successfully complete Calculus II (Math 116) with a C grade or higher.
- All students transitioning into a CECS major are expected to be in good academic standing overall (2.0 GPA or higher).
Office of Undergraduate Admissions
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map