When should you complete an application?
Application deadlines vary by graduate program. Some graduate programs admit students to all entry terms (Fall, Winter, and Summer) while others limit admission to only one or two terms (Fall and/or Winter). See below for guidelines. For more details, please refer to our academic calendar.
Fall term generally begins in early September. Winter term generally begins in early January. Summer term generally begins in either May or June (various programs may offer seven or fourteen week course options).
Programs With Hard Deadlines or Limited Admit Terms
CECS Doctoral Programs
- Computer and Information Science, Electrical, Electronics and Computer Engineering, Industrial and Systems Engineering, or Mechanical Sciences and Engineering
February 1 for Fall Term only
CEHHS Doctoral Program (Doctorate in Education)
March 1 for Fall Term only
MS in Psychology (Clinical Health or Health)
March 15 for Fall Term only
Advisory Deadlines for Programs With Rolling Admissions
All other graduate programs not listed above operate on a rolling admission basis. We recommend all documents be submitted by the recommended deadline. Deadlines are advisory in nature, meaning most programs with rolling admissions will continue to accept applications and review for admission beyond the deadline if there is space available. Advisory deadline guidelines by term are provided below.
August 1 for Fall Term
December 1 for Winter Term
April 1 for Summer Term
May 1 for Fall Term
September 1 for Winter Term
January 1 for Summer Term
Effective January 2018: Applicants who intend to study on a student visa are required to attend full-time (generally equivalent to 3 graduate courses). Due to limited course offerings in the summer term, the following programs do not admit international applicants for the summer term:
- Automotive Materials and Design Engineering (Certificate)
- Automotive Noise, Vibration & Harshness (NVH) (Certificate)
- Automotive Powertrains (Certificate)
- Automotive Systems Engineering (MSE)
- Bioengineering (MSE)
- Computer and Information Science (MS)
- Data Science (MS)
- Game Design (Certificate)
- Human Centered Design and Engineering (MS)
- Mechanical Engineering (MSE)
- Software Engineering (Certificate)
- Software Engineering (MS)
*Additional time is required for international applicants due to the additional materials required and the student visa application process. For more, visit the Office of International Affairs.
If you have international transcripts but do not require a student visa, your recommended deadline is one month prior to the domestic deadline for your intended term of entry.