The Registered Behavior Technician (RBT) is a paraprofessional who directly gives behavioral intervention in a one-on-one or small group setting from a detailed plan.
RBTs are credentialed paraprofessionals who practice under the close, ongoing supervision of a Board Certified Behavior Analyst (BCBA) and alongside a Board Certified Assistant Behavioral Analyst (BCaBA) with goals including:
- Improving education
- Improving health outcomes
- Improving behavior challenges
- Improving social behavior
There are many possibilities, including international, for RBT employment upon earning the credential:
- Private family homes
- Residential group homes
- Private and state facilities providing behavioral and mental health services
- Nonprofit agencies, health and human services providers
- Private clinics
- Behavioral in-patient crisis centers
- Schools as a paraprofessional in special or general education settings
- Law enforcement agencies
The average wage of an RBT in southeast Michigan is $15 - $25 per hour.
RBT training provides for the skill acquisition and preparation for the Behavior Analyst Certification Board (BACB) RBT examination.
Qualifications for Admission
- At least 18 years old
- High school diploma or national equivalent
- Criminal background check
Department Contact Information
CEHHS Office for Student Success
262 Fairlane Center South (FCS)
The RBT course includes 40 hours of training and is offered throughout the year.
Seven required sessions: Fridays
October 4, 11, 18, 25 and
November 1, 8, 15
and the competency assessment scheduled by appointment after November 15.
9:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Gary Carone, M.S., LLP, LMSW, BCBA
Location: UM-Dearborn Campus Fairlane Center South
To register for this course, please complete this Registration Form.
This training program is based on the RBT Task List (2nd ed.) and is designed to meet the 40-hour training requirement for RBT certification. The program is offered independent of the BACB.
To encourage RBTs to further their education, CEHHS will offer a $190 scholarship if participants subsequently enroll in a CEHHS degree program. Scholarship eligibility requirements include the following:
- Successful completion of the RBT program, competency assessment and RBT examination;
- Admission to and enrollment in a CEHHS degree program within one year of RBT completion; and
- Completion of scholarship application.