Post-Degree and Endorsement Programs

Interested in making a difference with students, but need certification as a teacher or principal?

If you hold a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, join us and work with the Department of Education to earn a Michigan Secondary Standard Teaching Certificate through one of our certification-only programs. Our post-degree certification programs also offer you the opportunity to renew your certification, to add additional endorsements to current certification or to earn a school principal certificate.

Programs for Certified Teachers

Professional Education Certificate Program (PEC): Renew your Certification

Both the Standard and the Professional Teaching Certificates are five-year teaching certificates with unlimited renewals. Each renewal adds five years to the certificate’s validity.  A renewal can be requested any time after January 1 of the expiration year.

Enhancement Program (EP): Add an Endorsement to your Certificate

The College of Education, Health, and Human Services offers this program for teachers who currently hold a Michigan Standard or Professional Education Certificate and wish to enhance their certificate with an additional area of preparation or endorsement.

Programs for Post-Bachelor’s Degree Initial Teacher Certification

The post-bachelor’s route to initial teacher certification is available for individuals who decide to pursue teaching after they have earned a bachelor’s degree. Typically, an applicant will have earned a degree in a content area that is taught in the elementary or secondary classroom or will have completed a substantial portion of the coursework required for one or more of the teaching majors offered at the University of Michigan-Dearborn.

Advising for Post-Bachelor's Degree Candidates and Prospective Candidates

Prospective candidates interested in having their transcripts reviewed and an individualized program plan created should schedule an appointment with the Certification Officer.   In-person, telephone and email advising are available to prospective post-bachelor's degree candidates.

The Certification Officer can also advise them about the application and enrollment processes.  Please call 313-593-5090 or email [email protected] to schedule an appointment.

Please fill out our Transcript Evaluation Request Form so we can develop a plan of study to help you meet your career goals.

Contact Information

CEHHS Office for Student Success
2140 (2nd Floor) Social Sciences Building (SSB)
4901 Evergreen Road Dearborn, MI 48128
[email protected]