Getting Started with Counseling and Psychological Services

What is Counseling?

Counseling can come in different shape and sizes depending on your unique needs. Some students concerns may require weekly individual sessions, others might be best helped through group counseling. Meeting with a CAPS clinician will help you identify the best treatment approach for you. The main goal of counseling is to assist you in finding the solutions for a variety of concerns, including but not limited to mood changes, relationship problems, anxiety, stress, and other mental health issues.

During this time, CAPS offers a mixture of in person and remote services. To make an appointment please email us at [email protected] to be sent the link for our forms. This email is not monitored 24/7 though and as all email, it is not secure so confidentiality of the email cannot be guaranteed.  You can also come to the University Center, Suite 2157 to complete the forms. Completion of the forms assists us in matching you with a mental health clinician to best suit your needs. Regardless of where the forms are completed, the information you provide is stored on a protected network separate from your University records. Please call us if you have any questions at 313-593-5430

Remember- CAPS services are free and confidential. 


Mental Health- Their Stories
CAPS is here for you, with many different support options and programs.

What are the possible benefits?

Therapy provides a safe and private setting to address the personal concerns and issues which cause people distress. Many people report a significant reduction in their distress after their first meeting while for others it takes additional sessions. Students may find that their academic performance improves. Often problem solving and communication skills are enhanced. Personal growth and self-awareness are important additional benefits. Therapy requires a time and effort commitment, much like attending a class. Some common concerns for students seeking counseling have been:

  • Relationship Concerns
  • Anxiety
  • Depression
  • Academic Stress
  • Adjustment to University life
  • Loneliness
  • Family Conflicts
  • Role Conflicts and Strain
  • Lack of Emotional Support
  • Abuse
  • Body Image Concerns

Do I need to have a mental illness to see a counselor?

No. CAPS offers mental health therapy for students in distress regarding a wide variety of problems that may or may not involve a mental illness. You do not need a mental health diagnosis in order to get services, nor does continuing services require that you are given a diagnosis.

What kinds of services are provided?

Individual Counseling: Individual sessions with a mental health clinician who will help you find solutions for concerns you may have regarding a variety of mental health issues. The frequency and number of sessions will be determined based on your presenting concern, but in general, CAPS provides solution focused individual counseling 

Group Therapy: CAPS offers various groups each semester. Please check back on our website each semester for current group therapy offering. 

Workshops: CAPS provides a variety of different education workshops based on the needs of students each semester. Please check back on our website for a list of offerings. 

Case Management: CAPS provides case management to assist students in connecting with services they may need outside of the university. Examples of this may be referrals to community mental health providers, referrals for medical care, and assistance in making a plan of action to meet students basic needs they may be struggling with. 

After Hours Crisis Phone: CAPS provides after hours phone services to students in need. To reach a licensed mental health clinician after 5pm, during weekends, or during an university closure, please call 313-593-5430 and press 2 when prompted.

Psychological Assessments: Students receiving counseling services at CAPS that have questions about their diagnosis or are experiencing learning challenges, or attention and concentration difficulties may be eligible for an assessment to provide recommendations for possible accommodations. 

Psychiatric Services: Students receiving counseling services at CAPS may be eligible for psychiatric services if medication is determined to be helpful and they do not have access to psychiatric services elsewhere. 


What will my counseling cost?

Counseling services are available to enrolled students at no charge.

Who is eligible to use counseling services?

Currently enrolled students are eligible for services. If you decide to take one semester off (for example you do not take Summer courses), you still remain eligible for counseling services as long as you attended courses the semester prior and intent to enroll the following semester. 

Are there time limits as to how long I can meet with a mental health clinician?

CAPS offers solution-focused therapy. Our goal is to provide you with the skills necessary to manage your presenting concern and make progress with regard to your functioning as quickly as possible.  Referrals to community mental health providers may be most beneficial for students whose presenting issues include long-standing difficulties with mental illness that cannot be expected to resolve in a reasonable amount of time or with the services we have available. We will discuss any referrals with you personally if needed. 

Where is CAPS Located?

Located on the second floor of the Renick University Center, Suite 2157.

How long will I have to wait for a first appointment?

Depending on your availability, appointments are generally able to be scheduled within 1-2 weeks. But if you are experiencing a crisis and need to speak with a mental health clinician immediately, please let our front desk administrative assistant know when you arrive. 

How long do appointments take?

All appointments are scheduled for 45-50 minutes, including first appointments.

What about confidentiality in counseling?

CAPS strictly protects your confidentiality within the limits allowed by law. In general, limits to confidentiality include when someone, including the client, is at risk of immediate harm. Reports of abuse of a child, disabled, or elderly person are also required to be reported to the proper authorities. Within some court cases, mental health records can be subpoenaed if deemed relevant to the case. Questions regarding confidentiality will be addressed at your first appointment.

Will my sessions go on my official student record?

We do not report your attendance or any personal information to any unit in or outside the university without your written permission.

What if someone just needs information about a referral?

CAPS also provides referral information for any interested student. Please check out our Referral page on this website or contact us directly to inquire about a specific referral not listed. 

If I'm worried about someone other than myself (i.e., friend, roommate, family member, etc), what should I do?

CAPS provides consultations for people just seeking information about mental health resources or referrals. If you are unsure how to handle a situation with a friend or family member, just call, email or stop in and we can provide you with information, resources, and/or referrals. 

Do you have crisis counseling?

Yes, if during normal business hours, please call us at 313-593-5430 and let us know you need to speak with a mental health clinician right away or just come over to our office in the Renick University Center, Suite 2157.

After Hours Crisis Phone: CAPS provides after hours phone services to students in need. To reach a licensed mental health clinician after 5pm, during weekends, or during an university closure, please call 313-593-5430 and press 2 when prompted.

What if I have a grievance related to CAPS?

If you have any questions or concerns related to services at CAPS there are several ways to contact CAPS. For a general question or request, such as wanting to change your therapist, please contact our general email at [email protected]. You can also contact CAPS director with any grievance at [email protected] or if the grievance is related to CAPS director you can contact the Dean of Students Office. 

CAPS overview

Counseling and Psychological Services

2157 - James C. Renick University Center
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map
Phone: 313-593-5430
Fax: 313-593-3263