Modern medicine generally refers to clinical practice: the diagnosis, treatment and prevention of disease by a physician. Two types of medical education and practice exist in the United States today. The physician may be an allopathic physician (M.D.) or an osteopathic physician (D.O.).
Learn more about the classes and the national exam you need to prepare for medical school. Also learn information about medical schools and general information about allopathic and osteopathic medicine.
What classes do I need to take?
The classes you need to learn the content for the Medical College Admissions Test (MCAT) as well as meet the requirement for most medical schools (MD and DO) in the USA are in the link below. You can learn more specific requirements for each of the schools, MD and DO, through MSAR and Choose DO Explorer listed in the "More Useful Links" below.
UM-Dearborn pre-requisite courses for medical schools nationwide for both MD and DO schools
What is the national standardized test?
The Medical College Admission Test, MCAT, is required of admissions to medical school (both MD and DO). The best way to prepare for the MCAT is to do well academically in all the pre-requisite courses before studying for the MCAT. To become familiar with the MCAT exam, please read and understand the MCAT Essentials, published each year, on the MCAT URL.
NOTE: Get free practice test questions and topic information as you take your pre-med classes on the Khan Academy and MCAT site.
What else should I know?
It is important that you learn and incorporate the Association of American Medical Colleges Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students in your academic and non-academic activities.
More information, such as what you should major in at UM-Dearborn and what else you can do to prepare for the profession, can be found in our FAQ section.
Useful Links: Allopathic (M.D.) Medicine
- Is being a physician for me?
- Preparing for Medical School
- Aspiring Docs
- Schools and Colleges of Allopathic (MD) Medicine in US
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
- Medical School Admissions Requirements (MSAR) (yearly online subscription)
- American Medical Colleges Application Service (AMCAS)
- Texas Medical and Dental Schools Application Service
Useful Links: Osteopathic (D. O.) Medicine
- What is Osteopathic Medicine?
- History of Osteopathic Medicine
- Brief Guide to Osteopathic Medicine, For Students, By Students
- Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine in the US
- Applying to DO School
- CHOOSE DO Explorer, The new directory of DO Schools
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM)
- AACOMAS Application Service (DO application)