YOUR Name, YOUR Pronouns, YOUR Gender

At the University of Michigan-Dearborn, we value every student, staff, and faculty member's unique gender identity and expression. We recognize that a legal name or gender marker change isn't possible or a good fit for everyone, and that there are many reasons one might use a name that is different from their legal name. 

Through UM-Dearborn Connect, you can communicate a Preferred Name, which will replace your legal first name in most systems across campus, indicate your pronouns, and add a gender marker that is separate from your legal sex designation. 

If you experience technical difficulties with this system, contact the ITS Service Center (734-764-4357). If you would like to learn more about this system, contact Registration & Records (313-583-6500) or email us at

Preferred Name

Click here to learn how to add a Preferred First Name into UM-Dearborn Connect.

After adding a Preferred Name, visit the University Center Welcome Desk to get a new MCard reflecting your Preferred Name.

Your legal name will still be visible in MCommunity DIrectory by default. However, this can be corrected by contacting the ITS Service Center (734-764-4357) to request hiding of the "primary name".

Your Preferred Name will be reflected on Canvas, Google Suite, Degree Works, UM-Dearborn Connect, and MCard. 

At this time, we cannot guarantee which name will be used for mail correspondence. If you are not able to safely have mail sent to your legal address under your Preferred Name, you can change your mailing address in UM-Dearborn Connect. Contact us at to help identify another address, and for any help making this change.



UM-Dearborn Connect allows for each student to select from three options for pronouns:

  • he/him/his (ex. He is a student at UM-Dearborn.)
  • she/her/hers (ex. She is a student at UM-Dearborn.)
  • they/them/theirs (ex. They are a student at UM-Dearborn.)

Learn More:

Center for Social Justice and Inclusion

2170 -
University Center (UC)
Back to top of page