We use multiple sources to determine if a degree earned outside of the United States is equivalent to a U.S. bachelor's degree.  Generally, it must be recognized and approved by the Ministry of Education or Commission responsible for higher education in the country where the degree is earned.  Please review our general requirements by country or region below. If your degree is not included below or you have questions about your specific credentials earned, please send an email to the Office of Graduate Studies with copies of all post-secondary transcripts and diplomas attached for a preliminary review for degree equivalency. 

The Office of Graduate Studies reserves the right to require additional documentation or certification on a case-by-case basis.

Requirements by Country or Region

Africa: British-Patterned Systems
  • Botswana
  • Brunei Darussalam
  • Cameroon
  • Ghana
  • Kenya
  • Lesotho
  • Malawi
  • Malta
  • Mauritius
  • Papua New Guinea
  • Nigeria
  • Sierra Leone
  • South Africa
  • Swaziland
  • Tanzania
  • Uganda
  • Zimbabwe

Degree Required

  • Four-year university Bachelor’s degree
  • Bachelor degree with Honours
Africa: French-Patterned Systems
  • Benin
  • Burkina Faso
  • Cameroon
  • Central African Republic
  • Chad
  • Congo
  • Cote d’Ivoire
  • Democratic Republic of the Congo
  • Gabon
  • Guinea
  • Madagascar
  • Mali
  • Mauritania
  • Niger
  • Republic of the Congo
  • Senegal
  • Togo

Degree Required

  • University Maitrise
  • Diplome d’Ingenieur

Degree Required

  • Four-year Bachelor’s Honours degree
  • Master’s degree following a three-year Bachelor’s (a three-year Bachelor’s degree alone is insufficient for admission consideration)

Degree Required

  • Three-year Bacheliere degree from Quebec
  • Four-year Bachelor’s degree from other provinces 
Central, Eastern and Western Europe (excluding France and Germany)

Degree Required

  • University degree requiring a minimum of four years of study
  • See section on Bologna process below for three-year bachelor degrees 
Central and South America

Degree Required

  • University degree requiring a minimum of four years of study

Degree Required

  • University Bachelor’s degree requiring a minimum of four years of study
East Asia
  • Hong Kong
  • Indonesia 
  • Japan
  • North Korea 
  • South Korea 
  • Malaysia 
  • Philippines 
  • Singapore 
  • Taiwan 
  • Thailand 

Degree Required

  • Completion of a Bachelor’s (Honours) degree
  • Four-year Bachelor’s degree
European Higher Education Area/Bologna Process

Degree Required

Three-year Bologna compliant bachelor's degrees are reviewed on a case-by-case basis to determine eligibility.


The diploma supplement issued in accordance with the Bologna declaration. This is sufficient for official transcripts and diplomas (a copy of the original diploma attested by the institution awarding the degree is acceptable).


Degree Required

  • Completion of a University Maitrise
  • Completion of Diplome d’Ingenieur from a Grandes Ecoles
  • Completion of two years of CPGE (preparatory classes from a Gradnes Ecoles) and two years of Diplome d'Ingeniueur 

Degree Required

  • Diplom
  • Magister Artium (M.A.) 
  • Staatsexamen

Note: The vordiplom and zwischenpruefung are not considered adequate preparation for graduate study at the University of Michigan-Dearborn.

Middle East and North Africa

Degree Required

  • Completion of a Bachelor’s degree requiring a minimum of four years of university study

Degree Required

  • Completion of a first degree requiring a minimum of four years of study
South Asia
  • Bangladesh 
  • India 
  • Nepal 
  • Pakistan 
  • Sri Lanka 

Degree Required

  • Completion of a University four-year Bachelor’s degree
  • Completion of a University Bachelor's degree in Medicine 
  • Completion of a three-year diploma program followed by a completed Bachelor's degree (three or more years)
  • Completion of a three-year Bachelor’s degree followed by a completed two-year Master’s degree

Note: Three-year Bachelor’s degrees do not meet the minimum requirements for admission to the University of Michigan-Dearborn

Additional Documentation Required - India

  • In addition to the materials outlined in the "Required Documentation" section below, semester-wise marksheets/gradesheets for all attempts must also be provided. 
  • We accept electronic transcripts from India sent via TrueCopy Credentials.
United Kingdom (Excluding Scotland)

Degree Required

  • Completion of a Bachelor’s (Honours) degree

Required Documentation

An official transcript/academic record must be an original or an attested copy with an original institutional seal and signature. The attested copy should be issued and signed/stamped by the same office that issues original documents. Notarized copies are not acceptable.

  • One set of final official transcripts; if final year of study is in progress at time of application, grades earned up to that point must be submitted. If offered admission, complete and final transcripts must be received by the end of the first term of enrollment.
  • Proof of degree awarded, through posted statement on the official transcript, official degree certificate/diploma, graduation certificate, or other approved standard for the country where the degree has been awarded. Provisional certificates are not acceptable.
  • Any additional documentation noted in the country/region-specific dropdown above.

English Translation Guidelines

In cases where the original document is in a language other than English, a version in the native language AND an official English language translation must be provided. English translations must be literal, word for word translations in the same format as the original academic record. If your academic institution does not supply an official translation, we will accept an official translation prepared by a professional licensed translation service or from an Education USA office in your region.

The University of Michigan-Dearborn reserves the right to verify the accuracy and authenticity of the educational documents submitted to our institution.

Please note the following:

  • A copy prepared and signed by a faculty member, city or government official or notary public is not considered official. If you only have a personal copy of your official transcript issued directly from the institution that bears an original institutional seal and signature and can physically bring that into the Office of Graduate Studies, photocopies can be made to fulfill the official transcript requirement.
  • An evaluation provided by a credential service, such as Educational Credentials Evaluators (ECE) or World Education Services (WES) is not accepted.
  • Original educational documents will not be returned. All documentation received becomes the property of the University of Michigan-Dearborn and will not be returned.
  • If you completed coursework at multiple institutions, provide the required documentation from each institution.

Office of Graduate Studies

1055 -
Administration Building (AB)
Back to top of page