Michigan Transfer Agreement

The UM-Dearborn participates in the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) as a receiving institution. The MTA permits transfer students to complete the 30-credit hour Michigan Transfer Agreement at a Michigan community college and transfer it as a block to satisfy most of the general education requirements at Michigan universities.

Michigan Transfer Agreement (Effective Fall 2014)
Students must complete a minimum of 30 hours with at least a grade of 2.0 (C or better) in each course approved by the community college in the following categories:

  • One course in English Composition
  • A second course in English Composition or Communication (a second composition course is strongly recommended to satisfy this section)
  • One course in Mathematics (college algebra or statistics or quantitative reasoning or an advanced level course in one of those areas)
  • Two courses in Social Sciences from different disciplines
  • Two courses in Humanities and Fine Arts from different disciplines (excluding studio and performance classes)
  • Two courses in Natural Sciences (one lab science required) from two disciplines
  • Additional courses in any category above to satisfy the minimum of 30 required credit hours

Students transferring to UM-Dearborn who want to take advantage of the MTA must have the Michigan Transfer Agreement Satisfied designation posted on their transcript. An Associate's degree is not required to use MTA.

Student Advising
Students planning for transfer to UM-Dearborn should check with their community college to determine what courses are approved for inclusion in the above MTA categories and to learn the details for obtaining an MTA endorsement on their transcript. During the planning and course selection process at the community college, students are encouraged to refer to UM-Dearborn transfer guides to determine which MTA courses would be the best fit in their intended program.  Community colleges will have a website for detailed information including approved courses for completing the MTA. University of Michigan-Dearborn admissions counselors are also available for additional questions.

Frequently Asked Questions
For additional information, please consult the Michigan Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officer's frequently asked questions for students.

Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Outside 1600 - Social Sciences Building
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map
Phone: 313-593-5100
Fax: 313-436-9167