Whether you want to work in the corporate world or be prepared to earn your CPA, we have a program flexible enough to serve your needs.
Through courses and student organizations, you’ll have the opportunity to gain team-based experiences with real-world impact. And your professors will challenge you to recognize and define complex business problems, explore alternatives and effectively communicate successful solutions.
The accounting major provides training for careers like accounting information systems, financial accounting and controllership.
What Will I Learn?
• Students will be knowledgeable about the business disciplines
• Students will be effective communicators and team members
• Students will be competent in the application of technology
• Students will be knowledgeable about global business practice and managing a diverse workforce
• Students will be knowledgeable about ethical principles and their application
• Students will apply critical thinking skills to business situations
View the full list of program goals on the Hub for Teaching and Learning site.
Accounting Major Requirements - 21 Credits
ACC 355 - Cost Accounting
ACC 356 - Intermediate Financial Accounting I
ACC 357 - Intermediate Financial Accounting II
ACC 360 - Federal Income Taxation
ACC 457 - Auditing
FIN 402 - Advanced Corporate Finance
ACC 403 - Controllership
ACC 416 - Advanced Financial Accounting
ACC 438 - Advanced Federal Income Tax
ACC 439 - Not-for-Profit Accounting
LE 453 - Commercial Transactions
Making the Most of Your Major
There are opportunities to develop skills and connect with others interested in accounting beyond the classroom. Check out the Accounting Major Map to get a more detailed, year-by-year view of how you can learn, engage, network and prepare for life after graduation.
- Join a professional organization, such as Beta Alpha Psi, Alpha Kappa Psi or CREW. Explore UM-Dearborn student organizations on VictorsLink.
Get Real World Experience
- Volunteer with the Accounting Aid Society to prepare free tax returns to students and people in need.
- Join the Apprenticeship Program with Public Allies Metro Detroit AmeriCorps.
- Secure an internship with help from the Internship and Career Management Center.
Plan for Life After Graduation
- Our accounting majors typically find employment in one of two categories, corporate accounting or public accounting. The Internship and Career Management Center offers assistance with job searching, resumes, interviews or graduate school applications.
- Many of our accounting students pursue additional education, a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) license, or a Certified Management Accountant (CMA) certification. Eligible students can complete the CPA exam preparation course through CPAexcel® at a significant discount, and even qualify to receive a 100% reimbursement.
General Program Information
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- The Accounting 4+1 option allows students to earn both the BBA in Accounting and the Master of Science in Accounting at a substantial savings in time and money.
- Internship opportunities available
- Scholarships available
Department Contact Information
COB Undergraduate Student Services Office
168 Fairlane Center South
Undergraduate Student Services Office
19000 Hubbard Drive
Dearborn, MI 48126
View on Map