Use financial tools to build business success. Prepare yourself to work in the banking industry and financial services. Or develop your own path to financial success.
You can choose a pre-set course list that is aimed at particular career paths — like Financial Management or Financial Services — or create your own path through the General Finance major. But no matter the path, all lead to the knowledge needed for the relevant professional examinations such as Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA), Certified Financial Management (CFM) and Certified Financial Planning (CFP).
Majoring in Finance will prepare you for success in a variety of careers including capital management, investment management, financial institutions and personal finance.
What Will I Learn?
- Students will be knowledgeable about the business disciplines.
- Students will be effective communicators and team members.
- Students will be competent in the application of technology.
- Students will be knowledgeable about global business practice and managing a diverse workforce.
- Students will be knowledgeable about ethical principles and their application.
- Students will apply critical thinking skills to business situations.
View the full list of program goals on the Hub for Teaching and Learning site.
Visit the University Catalog to learn more about required coursework for the Finance major and minor.
Making the Most of Your Major
There are opportunities to develop skills and connect with others interested in accounting beyond the classroom. Check out the Finance Major Map to get a more detailed, year-by-year view of how you can learn, engage, network and prepare for life after graduation.
- Join a professional organization, such as the Financial Management Association, Beta Alpha Psi, Alpha Kappa Psi or CREW. Explore UM-Dearborn student organizations on VictorsLink.
Get Real World Experience
- Join the Apprenticeship Program with Public Allies Metro Detroit AmeriCorps.
- Secure an internship with help from the Internship and Career Management Center (ICMC).
- Use the Bloomberg Finance Lab facilities to bring yourself to the attention of potential employers
Plan for Life After Graduation
- Many finance majors have pursued careers in corporate finance upon graduation. Other students have chosen the routes of commercial and investment banking, or financial services and planning. The Internship and Career Management Center offers assistance with job searching, resumes, interviews or graduate school applications.
- Consider adding a financial planning minor or certificate.
General Program Information
- Bachelor of Business Administration
- Optional concentrations in Financial Management and Financial Services
- The Financial Management concentration prepares students for a career in which they help organizations develop and implement their financial strategy and tactics.
- The Financial Services concentration helps prepare students to pursue careers in the banking industry and financial or investment services.
- Internship opportunities available
- Scholarships available
Department Contact Information
COB Undergraduate Student Services Office
168 Fairlane Center South