Go Blue - Go Dearborn!

The UM-Dearborn Office of Graduate Studies coordinates the application process for all programs in the College of Engineering and Computer Science (CECS).  The individual CECS departments review all applications for program admission requirements and then make decisions on each applicant.   All students must have the minimum required bachelor’s or master’s degree from an approved U.S. institution or an institution outside of the United States.  Undergraduate students completing their final year of study may apply. Currently, three of our Ph.D. programs offer a Direct Ph.D. option, which allows students to apply with only a bachelor’s degree.

Why Apply?

Academic Excellence
  • U.S. News & World Report ranked UM-Dearborn sixth among masters-level public universities in the Midwest. The university was among the highest-rated, regional public universities in Michigan.
  • The College of Engineering and Computer Science has been ranked among the best for 19 consecutive years by U.S. News & World Report.
  • The U.S. News and World Report also placed the College of Engineering and Computer Science’s online graduate engineering programs among the best in the nation in 2018. 

Whether you are a full-time professional, recent undergraduate, or an international student, we have flexible program options available for you.  

  • Top Notch Faculty
  • Quality Academic Programs
  • Stimulating Intellectual Environment
  • Interdisciplinary Research Opportunities
  • Evening and Online Courses
  • Industry Networking
Graduate Funding

Master Students Funding - Non-Resident Graduate Tuition Scholarship

Ph.D. Students Funding

  • CECS uses a full-funding model for all admitted Ph.D. students. Funding is guaranteed contingent upon continued successful academic progress towards the degree. Students receive an appointment as a Graduate Student Instructor (GSI) or Research Assistant (GSRA). The competitive funding package an offer which includes: monthly stipend, insurance, tuition, and fees for Fall and Winter terms.

Application Timeline and Admission Requirements

Application Deadlines

Doctoral (Ph.D. and D.Eng.) ProgramsFebruary 1st

The College accepts doctoral program applications for the Fall Term Only.

Our New D.Eng. in Electrical and Computer Engineering program is accepting applications for Winter 2022! This is a one-time only opportunity.


Master (MSE & MS) Programs:

The College accepts applications to the master programs on a rolling admission basis.  However, the Office of Graduate Studies provides advisory deadlines by term for domestic and international students.

Recommended Dates by Term

Admission Requirements

General Admissions Requirements

CECS Graduate Programs' Prerequisites (undergraduate degree or major required, any academic standardized test scores, prerequisite courses, work experience, or other credentials that might be required). 

Information on required application materials such as letters of recommendation, personal statement, resume, statement of purpose, etc... may be accessed on the individual program pages.

For Ph.D. and D.Eng. programs: The GRE exam is optional for the Fall 2022 admission cycle.

Decision Deadline

The Office of Graduate Studies communicates all admission decisions to the student via e-mail.  Admitted students will receive information of next steps from the individual department shortly after the initial notification. 

Notification of admission decision:

Doctoral Programs

Mid-March through April

Master (MSE & MS) Programs

On a rolling basis

Ph.D. Programs Offer Response Deadline

Students receiving an offer for full funding may take until April 15th to respond. 

International Admission Information

To find out about VISA and other requirements for international students seeking to study at UM-Dearborn.  Visit the Office of International Affairs.


Master Programs

Students admitted to a master’s program submit a request for deferral to the Office of Graduate Studies.  The individual department may grant deferred admission for up to one year following the original term of application.  Consideration beyond the one-year time frame requires the submission of a new application, fee, and supporting documents as required by each department.

Doctoral Programs

Doctoral students may request deferred admission for up to one year following the original term of application.  Submit a request for deferral for review and approval.  You must include the reason for deferral in your request.  Deferrals are not automatic and each department considers a limited number based on unforeseen and extenuating circumstances.

Transfer, Readmission, and Guest Student Applicants

Transfer Policies

Doctoral Programs

CECS Doctoral Programs Transfer Credits Policies

Doctoral programs in Computer & Information Science, Electrical & Computer EngineeringIndustrial, Manufacturing & Systems Engineering, and the Mechanical Engineering departments do not accept transfer credits. 

  • Students may use up to four credits from a previously completed master’s degree to meet the cognate requirements for the degree.  
  • Students without a master's degree may transfer credits to the master's program only following the conditions and limits for master's programs listed below.

For more information, contact your department.

Master's Programs

The following conditions apply to recognize graduate credits earned in other accredited institutions of higher education and colleges of the University of Michigan (Flint and Ann Arbor campuses).  All requests for transfer of credit are reviewed and must be approved by the department's program committee.

With program approval, select graduate coursework credits earned at another accredited institution may be transferred toward a University of Michigan-Dearborn graduate degree. The full policy is found in the Academic Policies section of the Catalog at http://catalog.umd.umich.edu/academic-policies-graduate/transfer-credit/.

Students eligible to transfer credit must (1) be enrolled in good standing in their graduate degree program and (2) have satisfied all conditions for full or conditional admission. Doctoral and other post-master’s students should refer to program-specific information and requirements. Criteria for transferring credit for master’s programs:

  • Coursework must have been completed within 5 years of the term of admission into the graduate program where credit is being transferred.
  • Graduate-level courses taken while pursuing an undergraduate degree only if these were not used to fulfill requirements for a degree/certification from another institution and these courses required graduate-level work.
  • Graduate credit may be transferred from other accredited degree-granting universities with graduate degree programs for up to a maximum of 6 credit hours, or their equivalent. For universities on the quarter system, 9 credit hours is the equivalent of 6 semester credit hours. Graduate credit may be transferred from other University of Michigan campuses(Flint or Ann Arbor) for up to half the credits required for the degree.
Credits may not be transferred:
  • If they are used or will be used, in whole or in part, to fulfill requirements for a bachelor’s or other degrees
  • If they are applied to a certificate from another institution;
  • For courses taken at an exclusively undergraduate institution or community college;
  • For courses taken more than five years before admission to the student’s current program; or
  • For courses for which a letter grade of less than “B” has been awarded. Note: Courses graded pass/fail or satisfactory/unsatisfactory are not eligible to be transferred.

Transfer Credit Request Form


Students previously enrolled in a graduate program may seek readmission by completing the  Application for Graduate Readmission form found at the following website.   Ph.D. students seeking readmission should include a personal statement addressing the following questions:

  • Why did you discontinue your study in the program?
  • Why have you decided to seek readmission to the program at this time?
  • How has your skills, interests, and motivation to complete the program changed since your last enrollment?
  • What timeline have you set for yourself to complete the program if readmitted?
Guest Applicant Information

For those interested in enrolling in UM-Dearborn graduate courses as a guest (non-degree seeking) student.

Admission for non-Rackham Graduate Guest

Apply or enroll in a graduate course on the Dearborn campus if you are not enrolled in a Rackham graduate program on the Ann Arbor or Flint campuses. 

Rackham Graduate Guest In Dearborn

Apply or enroll in a graduate course on the Dearborn campus if you are a Rackham graduate student currently enrolled on the Ann Arbor or Flint campuses. 

Rackham Graduate Guest in Ann Arbor

Apply or enroll in a graduate course on the Ann Arbor campus if you are a graduate student or a Rackham doctoral student currently enrolled on the Dearborn.

CECS Graduate Education Office

Heinz Prechter Engineering Complex (HPEC)
Back to top of page