We are pleased to offer advising services conveniently in person or virtually, whichever fits your needs.
Your CECS advisors are here to help guide you through the curriculum requirements, academic policies, and campus resources. We look forward to working with you!
We Are Available In Person and Virtually
Advisors are able to answer questions you have regarding registration holds, class selection for the upcoming semesters, and many other questions through email. If your questions cannot be answered through email, your advisor may suggest scheduling an advising appointment.
Please include your full name and UMID in your email message, and please send your message from your UMICH email address if you are a current student. This information will help your advisor respond as soon as possible.
In person and virtual appointments are available, and can be scheduled through your student portal, My UM-Dearborn for current students. After signing in, please click the 'Schedule An Appointment' button.
Students who do not have access to the portal can call or email us to schedule an appointment.
How to Reach Us
Our in-person services are located in the CECS Office of Advising and Academic Success, 1084 Engineering Lab Building (ELB).
Our in-person office hours are Monday-Friday 8:00AM to 5:00PM. Advising services will continue to be available virtually during our normal business hours. Appointments after 5pm may be available upon request.
Virtual Office Hours
Have a quick question that doesn't require a 30-minute appointment? We can help!
CECS Academic Advisors hold convenient, weekly virtual office hours. Find your advisor's hours and remote office queue.
CECS Peer Advisors also hold weekly in-person and virtual office hours. See the Peer Advisor section below for hours and further details.
Some matters may require additional time, your advisor will be happy to help you schedule an appointment in those situations.
Advising for New Students
Incoming freshmen, as well as transfer students who have not completed Calculus II (MATH 116), are assigned a CECS advisor housed in the START Advising Office.
CECS Peer Advising
CECS Peer Advisors serve as informed and knowledgeable academic resources to enhance student engagement and success. They work with current and new CECS students to provide support for successfully navigating the college experience.
They can be reached by email, social media, or drop-in office hours. Don't hesitate to reach out with questions!
Ways to Connect with a Peer Advisor
Drop in virtually or in-person during our office hours! Peer advisors can answer many of the same questions as academic advisors, or refer you to the right resources.
In-Person Office Hours (CECS Office of Advising and Academic Success, 1084 ELB)
- Mondays: 9:30 AM - 12:30 PM
- Tuesdays: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
- Wednesdays: 9:00 AM - 11:30 AM and 3:00 PM - 5:00 PM
- Thursdays: 11:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Virtual Office Hours (Zoom ID: 984 5321 7300)
- Mondays: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Fridays: 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Upcoming Workshops on Planning for Fall 2022 Advising/Registration (Virtual):
- Tuesday, March 22: 11:00 AM - 12:00 noon
- Wednesday, March 30: 2:00 PM - 3:00 PM
- Monday, April 4: 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Zoom ID: 984 5321 7300
Advising Appointment Tips
We expect that you do some research.
- Look up who your assigned advisor is
- Review your program requirements and develop a graduation plan (be proactive, think ahead!)
- Be prepared with a list of questions
- Have note-taking materials ready
- Learn how to use Google Meet
We expect that you stay engaged.
- Participate in the advising process, it's a two-way street. We're here to help point you in the right direction, but first we need to know your academic and career goals.
- Write notes for things you will need later
- Ask questions when you don't understand
We expect that you review your notes.
- Save a copy of your academic plan, keep it handy to refer back to when needed
- Register for the courses planned during your appointment, don't wait until the last minute
- If you have follow-up questions, email your advisor
We expect that you are proactive.
- Check to see when your registration date is and schedule an appointment well in advance
- If you have an advising hold on your account you are expected to meet with your advisor before registering for courses
We expect that you take ownership of your degree.
- Email your advisor to check in and make sure you know your remaining requirements
- If you haven't done a formal degree audit your advisor will send you instructions this along with the link to apply for graduation
If you are more than 15 minutes late we will ask you to reschedule your appointment.