Hazardous Material Spill

Actions to Take

Many products containing hazardous chemicals are used and stored in homes routinely. These products are also shipped daily on the nation's highways, railroads, waterways, and pipelines.

Hazardous materials come in the forms of explosives, flammable and combustible substances, poisons, and radioactive materials. The Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) Department is responsible for the collection and proper disposal of chemical, radioactive, and biological waste generated during teaching and or research operations throughout the various laboratories across campus.

Actions to Take


  1. Alert others nearby of the problem and safely leave the immediate area.
  2. Notify the University Department of Public Safety by calling 313-593-5333 or 9-1-1.
  3. Provide the following information:
    • Location (building and room number)
    • Nature and extent of emergency
    • Your name and your location
  4. Arrange to meet emergency responders and discuss affected area, safe entry procedures, and any hazardous or unknown conditions.
    • If not already contacted, contact EHS at 313-593-5270.
    • Contact your supervisor, lab manager, or principal investigator about the incident.