Veterinarians play a major role in the health of our society by caring for animals and by using their expertise and education to protect and improve human health as well. Learn more about the classes and the national exam you need to prepare for veterinary school/college. Also learn information about veterinary schools and general information about veterinary medicine.

What classes do I need to take?

The following courses are required for applicants to the Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine (MSU CVM). However, some or all courses may apply to other schools. You are responsible for checking each school's website for their specific requirements.

UM-Dearborn pre-requisite courses for Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine

What is the national standardized test?

The ETS Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test is the test required. The GRE is no longer required at MSU CVM, however, it is still required by many veterinary schools. The best way to prepare for the general GRE test is to use the ETS free test preparation material on prepare for the general GRE.  

The Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) is also accepted by some veterinary schools in place of the GRE. You need to find out from your vet school.

What else should I know?

It is important that you learn and incorporate the Association of American Medical Colleges Core Competencies for Entering Medical Students in your academic and non-academic activities.

More information, such as what you should major in at UM-Dearborn and what else you can do to prepare for the profession, can be found in our FAQ section.

Useful Links