Ready, Set, Explore!
Whether it's deciding on a major, discussing a career change, or preparing for a career or post-graduate education, Career Services can help! We've developed a model called Achieving Your Career B.E.S.T. that can help you take a pro-active approach to your professional and career development - exploring options for your major or career is one of these steps - as you review the resources below, remember you can always set up an appointment to speak with a career coach.
Career and Interest Inventories
Would you like to learn more about your personality traits and personal strengths to help you succeed in the workplace? Ever wondered what career pathway might be a good fit for you? Taking an inventory can be a great first step in career discovery and planning!
Schedule an appointment with Career Services to review your results as many questions and possibilities may surface throughout your career exploration process.
- Free, online career inventory that suggests careers that match your interests, skills, and work-related values.
- As you go through the inventory, "go with your gut" and use your first thoughts; don't overanalyze your responses - there are no "right" or "wrong" answers.
Login to Focus2Career (access code: goblue)
- Discover the aspects of your personality related to decision making and leadership style and relate what you learn with major and career possibilities.
- Understand communication and learning styles of your personality type and use this to understand others.
- Cost: $15 (use payment button below to request)
- Proclaimed the world's most trusted and widely used career planning tool, it investigates 6 general areas related to interest.
- Measures individuals' preference for several professional fields and ranks top occupations for each person based on compatibility.
- Cost: $10 (use payment button below to request)
- This inventory measures your natural patterns of thinking, feeling and behaving
- Relate this to possible careers and jobs
- Formerly Clifton StrengthsFinder
- Cost: $20
Choosing A Major
Choosing a major can seem like a daunting task, but it doesn't have to be! Whether you're choosing a major, changing majors, or making the connection from your major to a career pathway, Career Services can help! Set up an appointment with a career coach or use the blue buttons below to access these tools on your own.
- Focus2Career: This free, online career assessment suggests careers that match your interests, skills, and work-related values. As you go through the inventory, "go with your gut" and use your first thoughts; don't overanalyze your responses - there are no "right" or "wrong" answers. (access code: goblue)
- What Can I Do with this Major?: This site is a quick and easy way to identify a variety of careers and potential employers that utilize the skills that you master within each major.
- O-NET Online: This online interactive tool for exploring and searching occupations is a database of hundreds of standardized and occupation-specific descriptors. "Descriptors" are the distinguishing characteristics of an occupation that is the mix of knowledge, skills, and abilities - see what interests you, and what you might need to work on!
Considering Graduate School?
Maybe you've just finished your bachelor's degree and it's always been your plan to pursue an advanced degree. Or maybe you've been out of school for several years and want to go back to increase your marketability. Whatever your reason is, Career Services is here to help you meet your goals and assist through all stages of the process! We encourage you to set up a time with one of our staff members to discuss your ideas and questions.
Additionally, the UM-Dearborn Graduate Studies department has developed a graduate school planning guide that can be helpful no matter where you plan to pursue your advanced degree - check it out, and let us know how we can help!