Travel and Re-Entry to the U.S. while on OPT

In general, an F-1 student on post-completion OPT may travel outside the U.S. temporarily and be readmitted to resume F-1 status and employment for the remainder of the period authorized on his or her EAD card. The student must not have exceeded the maximum OPT unemployment time.

Warning: Re-entering the U.S. in a status other than F-1 (such as a tourist) will invalidate F-1 status and OPT authorization.

Request Travel Endorsement I-20 via M-International eForm

In order to re-enter the U.S., the student should be aware and will need to present the following at the Port of Entry:

Office of International Affairs

2106 - James C. Renick University Center
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map
Phone: 313-583-6600
Fax: 313-583-6725