Office of International Affairs


When you become a student at UM-Dearborn, you join a thriving international community. Here you will find engaging faculty, academic challenge, and new experiences.

The Office of International Affairs (OIA) is here to help you transition to student life in the United States and to support you during your stay. From the time you are admitted until after you graduate, we will help you get the most out of your American higher education experience. 

UM-Dearborn students represent 83 birth countries

UM-Dearborn students represent 83 birth countries.

Important Updates from the OIA

Coronavirus Campus Updates & FAQs for International Students and Scholars

Please visit the new International Students page of the University COVID-19 website to access updated FAQs for continuing and new international students. 

UM-Dearborn has made the formal announcement that most winter 2021 courses will be offered through remote learning, with very few exceptions taking place on campus. Furthermore, during the current fall 2020 semester, the University continues providing student services through remote operations as well. Please note, during the period of remote operations the Office of International Affairs (OIA) is accepting all international student and scholar paperwork, applications, and documentation via email: Although the physical OIA location at the Union remains closed, OIA advisors are available for virtual student and scholar advising appointments. Schedule your appointment by following the link, below. 

Learn more about the University's instructional plan for winter 2021 on the official UM-Dearborn COVID-19 website

(Last revised 09/28/2020)

Enhanced Social Distancing Procedures for Students Arriving from International Locations

International students arriving on campus directly from international locations must observe a 14-day period of enhanced social distancing. Enhanced social distancing means that you will remain in your residence, avoiding public places and contact with others, as much as possible. You should venture beyond your place of residence only when absolutely essential (eg. when needing to obtain food, groceries, or toiletries without alternate options) and only when wearing a face covering and maintaining distance from others.

The 14-day quarantine timeline begins when you arrive, and should be done in your residence.

Enhanced social distancing advice is being developed in response to policy for international travelers from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). While individuals arriving from international locations are encouraged to stay home as much as possible during the 14-day period following their arrival in the USA, you may still attend class, go to work, and go out for essentials during this period, and you may use public transportation to get to your destinations. 

The University is pleased to provide all international students with a Dearborn restaurants guide to facilitate the period of enhanced social distancing. The guide includes contactless food pickup and delivery options that will hopefully help to ease your transition to the USA. Do not hesitate to contact the OIA if you have questions (  

During this 14-day period, individuals are encouraged to monitor their health, reduce contact with others, and follow guidance consistent with recommendations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). These include the following, to the best of your ability:

  • Taking your temperature two times a day and monitoring for fever.
  • Watching for cough, trouble breathing or additional COVID-19 symptoms.
  • Staying home and avoiding contact with others outside of your home, including not going to work, school or social gatherings.
  • Avoiding public transportation, taxis or ride-shares.
  • Maintaining a physical distance from others (about 6 feet).
  • Wearing a face covering when in public settings or while interacting with others outside of the home.

If you are displaying symptoms of illness, stay home - do not come to campus. Please call 313-593-5056 to alert the University so that we can connect you with appropriate resources, monitor your progress, and provide support. Additionally, please also notify the OIA. 

You are encouraged to reach out to a medical provider if you have questions about recent COVID-19 exposure or symptoms.

(Last revised 08/24/2020)

What to Do if You, or Someone You Know, Becomes Sick

COVID-19 reporting and resources are available for all students:
COVID-19 Support Line: 313-593-5056
COVID-19 Support Email:

The following information regards what to do if you, or someone you know, becomes ill and begins showing symptoms of COVID-19. 

Getting Help and Self-isolation 
Students who begin showing symptoms should not immediately visit a hospital or healthcare provider in person. Instead, sick students should first speak with a doctor on the phone. There is useful information regarding first steps and self-isolation best practices on the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website

Notify the University, and Notify the OIA
Next, as soon as you become sick, or aware of a sick friend or roommate, you should immediately notify the University by calling the University's COVID-19 line at 313-593-5056 or emailing Also, please notify the Office of International Affairs ( The OIA is available to answer questions and provide support, however possible. When you notify the OIA, please include the following information in your message:

  1. Your name (and the name of the sick student, if you are contacting the OIA on someone else’s behalf) 
  2. Place of residence 
  3. Number of roommates at residence 
  4. Symptoms that the sick individual is experiencing 
  5. Any measures taken, so far, to begin self-isolation

Sick students must self-isolate, and should plan to stay at their place of residence. It is best practice for sick students to shelter in place while roommates make arrangements to temporarily relocate. This will help the affected student successfully self-isolate. Please notify the OIA if alternate accommodations have already been identified. If not, the University may be able to assist students in securing temporary housing. 

University Assistance 
Students should consult the Emergency Resources website to learn about how the University may be able to provide financial assistance during this difficult time. The University has established emergency funds to help students overcoming difficulties related to COVID-19. 

Local Healthcare
The Henry Ford Hospital-Fairlane is the hospital located closest to campus. The hospital has established a hotline for potential COVID-19 patients: 313.874.1055. 

Please, follow the guidelines set forth on the UM-Dearborn Coronavirus Information webpage, as well as the helpful guidance published by the CDC, to navigate this difficult and unusual situation. The Hospital hotline will be able to provide specific information regarding next steps and whether you should plan to visit a testing location, or whether it is advisable for you to continue self-isolating and monitoring your health situation from home. 

In the meantime, please keep the OIA up to date regarding your situation and how the University may be able to help.

The US Department of State Has Announced the Phased Resumption of Routine Visa Services

The US Department of State has announced the phased resumption of routine visa services at consulates and embassies around the globe. While this is a welcome development, there is still no clear timeline as to how or when re-openings will occur. Individual consulates and embassies will resume services as local public health conditions allow. Therefore, re-openings will vary from one region to another. New international students still trying to obtain an F-1 student visa are encouraged to consult the website for their local US consulate or embassy for updated information regarding the resumption of visa processing services in their area. 

(Last revised 08/14/2020)

New DHS Proposal

The Office of International Affairs (OIA) is aware of the proposed changes to the period of admission and extension of stay procedures for our F-1 and J-1 students and scholars. The OIA, and the University of Michigan-Dearborn, strongly disagrees with with the disappointing proposal. As part of our continued advocacy for our international population, we will submit a comment letter on this proposal that will explain why these proposed changes would be damaging for current and future international students and scholars. UM-Dearborn will also work with a number of educational and professional associations on these advocacy efforts. We will reach out to the international community when we have further information.

Announcing More Reliable High-speed Access for UM-Dearborn Students Studying Remotely from China

New for the 2020/21 academic year, UM-Dearborn students studying remotely from China can use MLane for more reliable, fast-speed access to UM-Dearborn teaching and learning tools and resources. Tools include Adobe, Zoom, Canvas, DropBox, Duo, MiVideo/Kaltura, and more. Learn here about how to configure MLane on your device. MLane is free to current UM-Dearborn students. 

Winter 2021 Information and Q&A Sessions for International Students

The OIA recently hosted virtual information sessions for international students regarding the upcoming winter semester of 2021. The recent sessions were recorded, and the OIA has now made them available online. 

New International Student Information and Q&A Session

Continuing International Student Information and Q&A Session 

Updated 10/20/2020 

International Student Wellness Town Hall (October, 2020)

In collaboration with Student Affairs, Graduate Studies, Emergency Management, and University leadership, the OIA hosted an International Student Wellness Town Hall on Thursday, October 22nd from 8-9pm. A recording of the Town Hall is now available online

The Town Hall shares information with students about influenza as well as COVID-19 and features a wealth of information on student resources, health and safety practices, and prevention strategies to help minimize the spread of illness this fall and upcoming winter semesters. Here are some of the useful links that are referenced throughout the presentation:




The OIA employs international student advisors to help you understand—and comply with—rules and procedures associated with your F-1 or J-1 status. OIA advisors do not work for U.S. Immigrations and Customs Enforcement (ICE). They are employed by the University to assist you and to serve as designated school officials (DSOs). Our advisors hold individual appointments and immigration workshops throughout the year. We can also help with other issues—if we do not know the answer, we know where to send you to get the right answer.

How we can help

Start here for information about how to: 

Prepare to come to the United States

  • Required documentation
  • Health insurance
  • Transportation

Arrive on campus

  • Check in and orientation

Navigate campus life as an International Student

  • Immigration and Visa support
  • Find work 
  • Discover community, clubs and mentorships

Visit with a J-1 visa

  • Two-Year Home-Country Requirement
  • Departure/Check-Out
  • Reinstatement

Improve your English

  • English Language Proficiency Program (ELPP)

Study abroad

Are you seeking academic experiences outside the U.S.? We help students explore global learning opportunities.

Office of International Affairs

Room 108
The Union at Dearborn
Back to top of page