BS in Data Science
Ask the right questions. Effectively use data sets. Create visualizations to communicate results. Find trends in the data and gain a deeper insight into what it all means.
With a major in Data Science, you’ll learn how to extract useful knowledge from data in various forms that help drive evidence-based decisions.
With the program’s interdisciplinary approach, this degree offers an education in computer science, AI/machine learning, mathematics/statistics, modeling skills, domain knowledge and more.
This will prepare you to stand out in one of the nation’s fastest growing careers. Career opportunities include business intelligence analyst, data mining engineer, data architect and data scientist.
What Will I Learn?
- Our graduates will be qualified for employment in Data Science related fields or other career paths, including industrial, academic, governmental, and non-governmental organizations, or will be successful graduate students in a program preparing them for such employment.
- Our graduates will be qualified to lead and participate in culturally diverse and inclusive teams, becoming global and ethical collaborators.
- Our graduates will be qualified to participate in continuing professional development through, for example, obtaining continuing education credits, professional registration or certifications, or post-graduate study credits or degrees.
Visit the University Catalog to learn more about required coursework for the Data Science major.
Making the Most of Your Major
There are opportunities to develop skills and connect with others interested in Data Science beyond the classroom.
Explore UM-Dearborn student organizations on VictorsLink.
Get Real World Experience
Internship, research, and study abroad opportunities are available for Data Science students. Talk with your professors to learn more.
Plan for Life After Graduation
Data scientists work for a variety of companies, government offices, and other institutions including Ford, Google, and Twitter.
Career Services offers assistance with job searching, resumes, interviews, or graduate school applications.
Faculty Career Advisor for Students
If you have any questions or need any advice about your career opportunities and development in Data Science, please contact the Faculty Career Advisor for BS-DATA students: Dr. Mohamed Abouelenien <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
General Program Information
Students complete a minimum of 120 credits and receive a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Data Science.
- Bachelor of Science - Major/Minor/Dual Degree
- Internship and research opportunities available
- Scholarships available
- Curriculum requirement sheets and sample course sequences
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map