Ask the right questions. Effectively use data sets. Create visualizations to communicate results. Find trends in the data and gain a deeper insight into what it all means.
With a major in Data Science, you’ll learn how to extract useful knowledge from data in various forms that help drive evidence-based decisions.
With the program’s interdisciplinary approach, this degree offers an education in computer science, AI/machine learning, mathematics/statistics, modeling skills, domain knowledge and more.
This will prepare you to stand out in one of the nation’s fastest growing careers. Career opportunities include business intelligence analyst, data mining engineer, data architect and data scientist.
What Will I Learn?
- Our graduates will be prepared for immediate employment or graduate study in a data science related field.
- Our graduates will lead and participate in culturally diverse teams, becoming global collaborators and adapting to an ever growing field.
- Our graduates will be ready to continue their professional development by obtaining further education certificates/degrees.
Visit the University Catalog to learn more about required coursework for the Data Science major.
Making the Most of Your Major
There are opportunities to develop skills and connect with others interested in data science beyond the classroom. Check out the Data Science Major Map to get a more detailed, year-by-year view of how you can learn, engage, network and transform your community and prepare for life after graduation.
Explore UM-Dearborn student organizations on VictorsLink.
Get Real World Experience
Internship, research, and study abroad opportunities are available for Data Science students. Talk with your professors to learn more.
Plan for Life After Graduation
Data scientists work for a variety of companies, government offices, and other institutions including Ford, Google, and Twitter.
Career Services offers assistance with job searching, resumes, interviews, or graduate school applications.
General Program Information
Students complete a minimum of 120 credits and receive a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree in Data Science.
- Bachelor of Science - Major/Minor/Dual Degree
- Internship and research opportunities available
- Scholarships available
- Curriculum requirement sheets and sample course sequences
Department Contact Information
Department of Computer and Information Science
105 Computer and Information Science Building (CIS)