A bomb threat is generally defined as a verbal threat to detonate an explosive or incendiary device to cause property damage or injuries, whether or not such a device actually exists.
The person who receives the threat will, in most cases, be the only person who has contact with the caller. It is therefore imperative that the initial contact person extract as much specific information as possible from the caller.
Actions to Take
- Remain calm.
- If your phone has caller ID, record the number displayed.
- Gain the attention of someone else close-by and have them call 9-1-1 from another phone. This call should be made out of hearing range of the caller.
- Try to keep the caller on the phone long enough to complete the Bomb Threat Check Sheet.
- Work with arriving emergency personnel to assist in evaluating the situation.
- Evacuate the area if ordered to do so by emergency or University personnel.
- Do not re-enter the building until the "ALL CLEAR" is given by the University Department of Public Safety or the UM Emergency Alert messaging system.