Guided by scientific data and public health guidance, University of Michigan-Dearborn is committed to student success, academic excellence and creating access and opportunity for qualified students while protecting health and safety by minimizing the spread of COVID-19, both within our campus community and throughout our region.
Important Things to Know
Before coming to campus, all UM-Dearborn faculty, staff, student employees and research assistants must complete the U-M online training on MyLinc: COVID-19: Working Safely at U-M and the daily health screening. All students must complete the daily health screening before coming to campus for class. Face coverings are required inside and outside on campus, and social distance must be maintained.
You must be logged into MyLinc to review the COVID-19 course.
Current Phase Summary
The state of Michigan is following a six-stage approach to addressing the pandemic. The current stage for southeast Michigan is Stage 4. This phase calls for continued use of physical distancing and face coverings and limiting gatherings to immediate family or small groups.
Here’s what that means for UM-Dearborn:
- The Winter 2021 semester will continue in a hybrid format; with less than 12 percent of classes delivered in-person on campus. The academic calendar has been adjusted with the semester starting on Wednesday, January 13. All classes will be taught online through Friday, February 26. A mini “well-being” break will be held February 25 and 26 with no scheduled academic activities on these days to allow students, and faculty, an opportunity to take a pause during the semester to get caught up, and refocus for the second half of the term.
Starting Monday, March 1— if the COVID-19 pandemic conditions permit — classes scheduled for an in-person modality will be taught on campus. Classes end on Tuesday, April 20. Final exams will be held Thursday, April 22 - Wednesday, April 28.
- Remote Work: All work that can be done remotely should be.
- Building access for faculty and staff is requested through one of two processes — the One-Time Access Process for single visits lasting less than one hour or the MCard Access Process for single visits greater than one hour or for multiple visits.
- All countries outside the U.S. are currently under a U-M COVID-19 Travel Restriction until further notice. More details about U-M travel restrictions and guidance can be found on the Global Michigan website.
- Research has restarted on campus in a phased approach. Research labs will continue to operate differently in the months ahead to protect health and safety. For more information on health and safety preparations in regards to research, visit the Environmental Health & Safety website.
- Our collective safety requires we all do our part following health and safety best practices. We should all practice strong personal hygiene habits, wear a face covering while on campus (both inside and outside of buildings), maintain a physical distance of six feet and follow posted signage/guidelines. View the latest health and safety guidelines.
- Students that need any assistance during this challenging time are encouraged to email DearbornCOVIDsupport@umich.edu or call 313-593-5056.