We are following the health and safety guidelines developed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the state of Michigan, our University of Michigan colleagues and our own experts to ensure a safe campus environment for our students, faculty and staff.
Required COVID Vaccination
All University of Michigan students, faculty and staff are required to receive the COVID vaccine, with limited exceptions. Learn more on the Vaccination page. This policy is effective immediately and subject to change as pandemic conditions evolve. This policy does not apply to third party vendors, patients, guests, and visitors. Learn more on the Vaccination page.
Mandatory health screening
- Faculty and staff members must continue to complete ResponsiBLUE health screening before coming to campus and report their ResponsiBLUE status to their supervisor only if they receive the red check and cannot come to campus.
- Students must complete ResponsiBLUE health screening before coming to campus. Students should report a red check screen to DearbornCOVIDsupport@umich.edu or call 313-593-5056.
- Before entering any University of Michigan building, all visitors, contractors and vendors need to complete the guest version of ResponsiBLUE.
- Face coverings are required inside all UM-Dearborn buildings and on campus transportation for all faculty, staff, students and guests. Face coverings are not required outdoors. Face coverings may be removed when actively eating or drinking or when in an office by yourself with the door closed. Extra face coverings will be available through September 24, 2021 at building screening stations.
- The university has developed procedures for responding to students, faculty and staff who fail to follow the face covering policy.
Reporting a positive COVID Case
Faculty and staff are required to report to the university, if they or someone they supervise or teach tests positive for COVID. Students are also required to report if they test positive for COVID. The process for reporting is outlined on the COVID Reporting page of the website.
Cleaning & Disinfection
- The University has returned to a full custodial schedule in all buildings, following the more rigorous of standard cleaning protocols or CDC cleaning and disinfecting guidelines. Building spaces are cleaned daily in accordance with these protocols. If a person who has been in university spaces contracts COVID, additional CDC recommended cleaning protocols are also implemented.
- Current CDC guidance states that, “the risk of infection from touching a surface is low. The most reliable way to prevent infection from surfaces is to regularly wash hands or use hand sanitizer.”
Campus HVAC Systems
- The University is meeting or exceeding all CDC guidelines regarding building ventilation systems. For more information read this Reporter story, or view additional information from the Environmental Health and Safety team.
The university has placed signage throughout campus providing guidance, helpful tips and reminders on how to stay safe. Be sure to follow the directions as displayed.
University of Michigan-Dearborn campus members who have tested positive for COVID-19 will be included in a Contact Tracing Protocol to assist in identifying individuals who may have been in close proximity and thus have an elevated risk of contracting the illness. This protocol will be conducted in accordance with the State of Michigan Public Health Code and federal guidelines. Contact tracing is a very effective public health tool that has been used for decades to reduce the spread of disease.
COVID-19 In Person Safety Requirements Statement
UM-Dearborn aims to deliver its mission while seeking to protect the health and safety of our students and minimizing the spread of disease within the community. As students return for the 2021-2022 academic year, all students are required to comply with all UM-Dearborn policies, including any public health guidance related to COVID-19. The very nature of an in-person educational experience in UM-Dearborn means our faculty, staff and students, particularly those participating in field work, internships, co-ops, and other related activities, will be exposed to contagious viruses, including the coronavirus. UM-Dearborn is committed to public health and similarly expects that all students will act in a manner that demonstrates respect and consideration for the health and safety of all community members.
Students are prohibited from creating a health or safety hazard at UM-Dearborn, in connection with any UM-Dearborn programs or activities, including any field work, internships, co-ops, and other related activities. Students are required to comply with public health guidance, including any protocols, guidelines or policies adopted by the University or the UM-Dearborn that relate to COVID-19 or other infectious diseases. This guidance will evolve as the public health crisis unfolds and may include the following: health screening protocols, participation in contact tracing, use of face coverings, COVID-19 diagnostic testing, disinfection protocols, limitations on gatherings, and social distancing. Adherence to health and safety requirements applies to all UM-Dearborn students and extends to all aspects of the facilities, clinical labs, classrooms, bathrooms and other spaces within the UM-Dearborn, on UM-Dearborn property, in field work, internships, co-ops, and other related activities, or at UM-Dearborn sponsored events/programs.