The Provost Fellows program of the University of Michigan-Dearborn provides faculty members with an opportunity to experience both the challenges and rewards of administration in higher education.
The application process for AY19-20 is currently closed. The next application cycle will open in February of 2020.
The program furthermore provides the administration with ongoing faculty involvement, advice, and counsel.
Through the Office of the Provost faculty fellows participate in a full range of activities under the purview of academic affairs. Provost Fellows will make meaningful contributions to the campus by undertaking specific projects, as well as assisting with campus-wide academic initiatives, strategic planning, and the development of innovations designed to better support the academic enterprise. The shape of projects and scope of work are negotiable and responsive to the experience, skills, and aspirations of individual faculty members. Faculty Fellows will be released from at least one course per semester. Course releases and/or stipend(s) will be dependent upon the particular scope of work.
Goals of the Program
- To provide faculty an opportunity to work with provost leadership teams and thereby experience the day-to-day workings and decision-making processes of upper administration in higher education
- To provide an avenue for faculty to determine potential interest in higher education leadership
To provide ongoing faculty involvement and contributions to academic affairs
Length of Service
Typically faculty fellows are engaged for one academic year; shorter commitments are negotiable.
Who is Eligible?
Any tenured member of the faculty appointed to the ranks of associate professor or professor is eligible to serve as a Provost Fellow.
Application and Selection Process
Faculty interested in participating in the Provost Fellows program can apply by submitting the following:
- Statement of support from the appropriate college dean
- Curriculum Vitae
- Brief statement of interest describing:
- Relevant experience in college or university activities
- Overarching goal(s) for participation in the program
- Potential interest in entering higher education's leadership pipeline
The statement of support from the appropriate college dean should be sent to Shari Marshall in the Provost Office, via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions regarding this program, please feel free to contact Mitch Sollenberger or Ilir Miteza.