Maintaining and growing a strong research profile not only enriches the work of faculty and the classroom experience for students but has a significant, overall positive impact on the campus through the increased ability to attract and retain high quality students and faculty.
Research output growth and impact has been identified as an important priority to the campus by Chancellor Grasso and Interim Provost Scarlatta. To achieve these strategic goals, the UM-Dearborn Office of Research has identified a set of strategic, proactive, catalytic, and capacity-building activities designed to facilitate individual faculty members and teams of researchers in attracting extramural research funding, creating relationships, and developing and implementing plans that increase the competitiveness of our researchers. We support the efforts of the faculty, staff, and students of the University of Michigan-Dearborn in seeking, securing, and carrying out sponsored programs.
- Programming- presentations, workshops, discussions- for researchers and department administrators on how to utilize research tools and resources and become more familiar with major sponsors (provide help with expanding their grantsmanship knowledge).
- Work with faculty to identify funding opportunities that match their research interests and priorities
- Facilitate interdisciplinary collaborations
- Give advice throughout the proposal development, including how and when to contact a program officer
- In coordination with the proposal specialists, develop non-disciplinary proposals components (boilerplates). Work with faculty and administrators to develop the non-disciplinary elements of proposals such as management plans, broader impacts and evaluation plans.
- Provide grantsmanship advice and strategy- to set up a meeting to discuss funding opportunities or proposal development, please contact email@example.com and provide a brief description of your project and funding needs.
- Help connect researchers with proposal writers / evaluators
- Development of realistic cost estimates and a defensible budget compliant with state, federal, university, and sponsor regulations
- Review of sponsor guidelines to provide faculty with a summary list of required components and ensure complete proposals
- Outline of a submission timeline for required documents in order to meet internal and sponsor deadlines
- Completion of internal forms and sponsor applications, review of sponsor-mandated forms for compliance with guidelines
- Assembly of the proposal package for submission to the sponsor
- Routing for internal review and approvals
- Proposal submission when appropriate
- Guidance on post-award best practices and research compliance issues
- Processing of unfunded agreements (non-disclosure agreements, materials transfers, etc.)
The UM-Dearborn Office of Research works in collaboration with central administrative offices of the University of Michigan, such as the Research Development team in the University of Michigan Office of the Vice President for Research, the Ann Arbor Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP), the University of Michigan Office of Research (UMOR), the Office of Contract Administration (OCA), and the Sponsored Programs Office (Finance).
On campus, we partner with the Offices of Business Engagement and Foundation Relations to engage with industry and non-profit partners and expand the opportunities for productive research and collaborations.
How to Reach Us
During the Fall 2021 semester we’ll be conducting university business primarily virtually, with limited in-person staffing. Our contact information and location are below.
Our office is reachable via email & virtual meetings Monday - Friday, 8 am - 5 pm.
In-person office hours and phone coverage are limited. If you need to request an in-person meeting please email us to check staffing availability first.