Distance Education Student Information and Procedures

Notice of Nondiscrimination

UM-Dearborn is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, disability, religion, height, weight, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities, and admissions. The University’s full nondiscrimination policy as well as contact information for submitting inquiries and complaints concerning discrimination is available on the Equity, Civil Rights, and Title IX Office.

International Students

Students pursuing online degrees should note that some countries may not formally recognize foreign online degrees, which can have implications for students who later seek to enroll in other educational programs, or for those who seek employment with their home country’s government or other employers requiring specific credentials. Additionally, some countries may or may not require foreign higher education institutions to comply with distance education regulations. UM-Dearborn does not represent or guarantee that its online degree programs are recognized in or meet requirements to comply with distance education regulations in the student’s country of residence, if it is outside the United States. It is therefore the student’s responsibility to understand current circumstances or special requirements surrounding whether this online degree will be recognized in the student’s country of residence, how the collection of student data may be used in said country, and whether the student will be subject to additional withholding taxes in addition to the price of tuition.

Visas. As online degrees offered by UM-Dearborn do not require students to physically attend UM-Dearborn's campuses or enter the United States, acceptance into a UM-Dearborn online degree program does not provide a pathway to a student visa. Similarly, the U.S. government imposes significant restrictions on online-course enrollments that apply to individuals located in the United States on student visas, which may prevent these individuals from enrolling in or completing online degree programs.

Blocked Countries. To comply with U.S. export control regulations, UM-Dearborn does not currently offer online programs to individuals located in the following areas:

  • Iran
  • Sudan
  • Crimea
  • Cuba
  • Syria
  • North Korea
  • Venezuela

Restricted Access to Technology, Tools, Content, and Services. Certain foreign governments use firewalls to block or limit access to Internet content, which can impact a student’s ability to access course materials and supporting tools and technologies, including those provided by the University, its partners, and third parties. When available to students, the use of a virtual private network (VPN) may enhance a student’s access. Export controls can further limit UM-Dearborn’s ability to provide students in foreign jurisdictions with certain downloadable content and programs. The University is committed to working with students who experience access limitations, but as these international restrictions may be beyond the University’s and the student’s control, the University cannot guarantee full and uninterrupted access to its online educational content, technologies, tools, and services in all international jurisdictions. Please review any notices published by the program you are interested in to learn more.

Background Screening for Export Control and Sanctions Compliance. Qualified international applicants who do not currently hold a valid U.S. visa will be subjected to additional background checks through international databases prior to receiving a final offer of admission. These screening procedures support the University’s efforts to avoid transacting with persons designated under U.S. sanctions programs.  

Data Privacy and Protection. Personal information—whether volunteered, collected through automated processes (e.g., cookies operating on U-M and UM-Dearborn websites), or retrieved from third-parties—will be processed in the United States. For students participating in UM-Dearborn distance education programs from a European Union (EU) member state, please note that while the United States has not received a finding of “adequacy” under Article 45 of the EU’s Global Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), U-M has invested considerable resources into data privacy initiatives and has established significant safeguards for personal data transfers. Additional information regarding data collection, processing, and sharing practices, as well as a description of the rights afforded to EU distance-education students, is available on the UM-Dearborn privacy policy and the U-M privacy statement. Individual programs may provide supplemental disclosures when their practices differ. 

Financial Aid, Scholarships, and Taxes. U.S. Citizenship or legal permanent residency is a requirement for federal financial aid and FAFSA eligibility. University and advertised external scholarships may not be available to all international students. Students and prospective students are advised to review all eligibility criteria listed for such scholarships carefully. Depending on your location or country of citizenship, you may be required to pay taxes in your location or country of citizenship, in addition to the tuition and fees you will pay to the University of Michigan. These taxes may result from “purchasing” educational content, receiving scholarships, or from other triggering events relating to your participation in this online program.

Identity Verification

Two-Factor Authentication. Two-factor (Duo) authentication for Weblogin is required for all U-M students, including those enrolled in online programs, when logging into U-M accounts. Students can choose from a list of several authentication options from Duo to gain access. Some methods for two-factor authentication, such as the Duo Mobile app, Security Keys (e.g., Yubikey), and hardware tokens, may not be used by students located in certain countries or geographic regions due to U.S. export control laws or local restrictions in the country from which you are accessing online programs. Alternative options for gaining access are available for affected students, but may result in additional fees.*

The currently recommended option for international students who, for whatever reason, cannot use the Duo Mobile app is to receive a text message with passcodes. Students will need to enroll a cell phone. A text message will contain a set of 10 passcodes in a single text message that are good when used within 30 days. When used in combination with the “Remember me for 7 days” option (on the Duo login screen), a single text message should enable a student to log in as often as needed for 30 days. See how to get passcodes via text message.

*Standard as well as applicable international text messaging and phone call rates will apply when using a phone for two-factor authentication or to receive a bypass code. 

Use of Student Recordings and Materials

As part of participation in online courses or programs at or through UM-Dearborn, the University may make and use photographic, audio, video, or other recordings (the “Recordings”) of the student, their voice, and their likeness. This also may include personally identifiable information, education records, and use of the learning management system. Recordings may include work product and other materials, whether or not copyrighted by the student or others, that are made available as part of participation in online courses or programs at or through the University (the “Materials”).

The Recordings may be necessary for participation in University online degree-granting courses and will be used internally and externally during and after the student's enrollment for purposes related to instruction, evaluation, classroom participation, conflict resolution and academic integrity, among others. Recordings and Materials may also be shared with University officials and third parties acting on behalf of the University in connection with administration of online courses and programs. 

Recordings and Materials that amount to education records protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) are subject to UM-Dearborn’s FERPA policies.

State Authorization

UM-Dearborn is an accredited public institution that participates in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreements (SARA). This combination of factors authorizes UM-Dearborn to enroll online students from all states and territories in the United States. This also means that otherwise eligible and qualifying students, whether participating in-state or out-of-state, can use federal financial aid to support tuition and fees associated with UM-Dearborn online degrees and certificates. Additional, state-by-state information is provided below. 

While programs that lead to professional licensure may be “authorized” in a student's home state, this does not guarantee that the program will also satisfy prerequisites for becoming licensed in the profession as defined by the applicable state licensing body in that state. The Licensure section below contains more information. 

Please also note that there may be consequences with regard to professional licensure eligibility for students who move to other states or territories while completing online programs. For programs leading to professional licensure, students are advised to determine whether their program will satisfy the academic prerequisites for professional licensure in a new state.


Many professions in the United States are regulated by state agencies which require individuals to obtain a license or certification as a condition of employment. States differ as to which professions are regulated in this manner. Common categories include but are not limited to legal services, social services, architecture, engineering, education, accounting, and healthcare. 

Student's should contact the college or department offering the program to request information about whether a specific state’s professional licensure requirements can be satisfied by completing the program and whether there may be additional requirements or costs involved. Students are also encouraged to contact the appropriate licensing body in their state with any questions relating to professional licensure. CareerOneStop, sponsored by the U.S. Department of Labor, provides a survey tool for locating regulatory bodies associated with licensed professions in each state. In addition, the Council on Licensure, Enforcement, and Regulation (CLEAR) hosts contact information for many licensing boards categorized both by jurisdiction and by profession.

Complaints for Distance Education Students

This information will assist out-of-state distance education students in the event they need to file a complaint.

The University encourages students and prospective students to address complaints relating to the institution’s policies and consumer protection issues first with personnel in the office, department, school, or college that led to the complaint alleged.  If needed, senior University administrators may also become involved to help resolve complaints.

  • Complaints about the technology or digital education support should be addressed to the University Coordinator of Digital Education. If the complaint is unresolved, the matter may be escalated to the Associate Provost for Graduate, International, and Online Learning.
  • UM-Dearborn is a participating member in the State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA). Students with unresolved complaints at the University level, and who reside in a SARA state, may contact the State of Michigan Postsecondary Schools. 
  • Students in non-SARA states may contact the authority in their home state, which may be found on the Web site of the State Higher Education Executive Officers Association.

UM-Dearborn is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools.  Complaints concerning broad institutional academic practices, such as those that raise issues regarding UM-Dearborn’s ability to meet accreditation standards, may be filed with the Higher Learning Commission.

Members of the Military or their spouses should utilize the Military OneSource Postsecondary Education Complaint System.

Authorizations and Complaint Processes by State

*This state/district/territory has joined SARA, and the student should submit applicable, unresolved complaints to Michigan’s SARA Portal Entity.