Inviting Elected Officials to Campus
Helpful tips for inviting elected officials to campus.
UM-Dearborn students, faculty and staff are encouraged to invite elected officials to campus to showcase research, community projects or invite them as guest speakers in the classroom or elsewhere on campus. Having elected officials on campus to discuss relevant issues is an important way to promote the work of the university and it allows for dialogue and learning opportunities.
If you are interested in inviting an elected official to campus, please consider the following:
- Prior to extending an invitation to an elected official, please notify the Government Relations office so that we are aware of the request and can discuss strategy. Please contact Ken Kettenbeil, Vice Chancellor for External Relations.
- Plan ahead! Many elected officials calendars are set weeks – and sometimes months— in advance.
- If you are interested in inviting elected officials to campus, but are unsure of whom to invite, the Government Relations office is happy to assist.
- You can find your elected officials at the official website of the United States government.
- Before providing food/gifts to elected officials, please contact the Government Relations office to ensure you are within monetary threshold permitted by state law.