Higher Learning Commission (HLC) Upcoming Visit, Reports, & Resources
Higher Learning Commission – 2023 Visit Preparation
The University of Michigan-Dearborn is preparing for its Comprehensive Evaluation visit from the Higher Learning Commission (HLC), an evaluation that occurs every 10 years. In 2017, we had a successful interim visit where the HLC reviewers gave us positive ratings in all the assessment areas. This webpage is intended to keep the campus community updated and informed about the HLC visit.
On November 13 and 14, 2023, a HLC peer review team will visit our campus to determine whether the University of Michigan-Dearborn meets the criteria for accreditation, is pursuing institutional improvement, and complies with various requirements set by the U.S. Department of Education. For more information on how higher learning institutions are accredited please visit here.
Review HLC November 2023 Reports
We are asking for the campus community to review the draft report and provide feedback (i.e., suggested items to include, corrections, or recommended changes while noting the specific criterion report along with page number, when possible) by January 31, 2023. Please provide feedback by sending an email to UMDHLC2023@umich.edu.
Higher Learning Commission Policies and Practices for Accreditation
Preparation Timeline for the HLC Visit
- Fall 2020 – HLC Coordinating group meet and began planning for 2023 HLC visit
- May 3, 2021 — Identified HLC Criterion Leads
- July 12, 2021 — Criterion Leads submit to HLC Coordinator draft 1 outlines of proposed evidence plan showing the incorporation of data-driven/data-informed systemic and systematic continuous improvement planning
- September 6, 2021 — Criterion Leads submit to HLC Coordinating Group revised outline of proposed evidence plan for review and discussion
- March 1, 2022 — Criterion Leads submit the first draft of criterion reports for review and discussion
- June 6, 2022 — Criterion Leads submit to HLC Coordinating Group their updated draft criterion reports for review and discussion
- October 14, 2022 – Criterion Leads, if needed, submitted updated draft criterion reports
- November 2022 -- Share draft HLC Report with campus for review and feedback
- April 2023 — Criterion Leads provide to HLC Coordinating Group a status update for their draft criterion reports
- June-July 2023 — HLC Coordinating Group reviews and updates the final HLC report, as needed
- August 2023 — Final report submission to HLC
- Fall 2023 — Campus HLC forum
Faculty, Staff, Students, and Other Stakeholders Comment
HLC affords faculty, staff, students and other stakeholders the opportunity to submit comments regarding institutions that are undergoing a comprehensive evaluation for Candidacy, Initial Accreditation or Reaffirmation of Accreditation. Please submit comments using this online form HLC provides or mail:
Third-Party Comment on the University of Michigan-Dearborn
Higher Learning Commission
230 South LaSalle Street, Suite 7-500
Chicago, IL 60604-1411
Frequently Asked Question
- Why do we need to be accredited?
- The importance of accreditation is that it sets higher standards for higher education institutions along with ensuring continuous quality improvement and ensuring students have access to federal funding.
- What do I need to know about the upcoming visit?
- Please familiarize yourself with the HLC policies and practices for accreditation along with our institution’s draft narrative reports (when they are posted for review in October 2022). For faculty, please take time to familiarize yourself with your program’s learning objectives and assessment activities. Everyone (faculty and staff) should be familiar with our campus’s strategic plan and mission statement.
- Is there anything you need from me to help prepare for the visit?
- All campus stakeholders serve a critical role in maintaining a highly functioning university. The Coordinating Group and criterion leads have already been in contact with various campus stakeholders. More information will be provided as we get closer to the HLC visit, including a campus-wide forum.
Higher Learning Commission Coordinating Group
- Mitch Sollenberger, Associate Provost
- Pam Pennock, Faculty
- Jess LaGrange, Director of Office of Academic Success
- Noel Hornbacker, Director of Financial Services
- Rick Michalski, Director of the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness
- Susan Everett, Provost Faculty Fellow
Archived HLC Self-Studies and Reports
The University of Michigan-Dearborn has earned accreditation through HLC since 1970.
Below, you will find archived self-studies and reports from past HLC visits.
In Fall 2017, University of Michigan-Dearborn had a 4-year Standard Pathways Assurance Visit from HLC as a follow-up to the comprehensive evaluation visit in 2013. Based on the Assurance Report and the site visit, UM-Dearborn successfully improved in many of the areas noted in previous visits and we were granted approval until our next visit in 2023.
Below you will find preparation materials for the 2017 Assurance visit as well as the Assurance report and additional documents relating to HLC and accreditation.
- HLC Criteria for Accreditation
- HLC Prep Session power-point
- Vision 2020 Goals Achieved
- Levels of Outcomes and Assessment
- Goals for the Undergraduate Learning Experience
- Program Goals Achievements
- Read the 2017 Assurance Argument
If you have any questions about the Higher Learning Commission or the upcoming visit, please contact Associate Provost Mitch Sollenberger at email@example.com.
Office of the Provost
4901 Evergreen Road
Dearborn, MI 48128
View on Map