Democratic Engagement Initiatives
Voter & Democratic Engagement
A crucial part of being an active citizen in our society is being engaged in the political and democratic process. Through voter engagement initiatives on campus, students have the opportunity to register to vote, engage in democratic learning, and develop as active citizens.
- Tuesday, August 2, 2022: Michigan Primary Election
- Tuesday, November 8, 2022: Michigan General Election
- July 18, 2022: Last day to register in any manner other than in-person with the local clerk for the August primary
- July 19 - August 2, 2022 @ 8:00 p.m.: In-person registration with local clerk with proof of residency
- August 2, 2022: Michigan Primary Election
- October 24, 2022: Last day to register in any manner other than in-person with the local clerk for the November general election
- October 25 - November 8, 2022 @ 8:00 p.m.: In-person registration with local clerk with proof of residency
- November 8, 2022: Michigan General Election
Frequently Asked Questions
Visit our TurboVote site to register to vote. Through that site, you can also sign up to receive election reminders and apply for your absentee ballot!
To register to vote in Michigan, you must be:
- a Michigan resident (at the time you register) and a resident of your city or township for at least 30 days (when you vote)
- a United States citizen
- at least 18 years of age (when you vote)
- not currently serving a sentence in jail or prison
If you are a resident of another state, TurboVote can help you get all the information you need to vote, regardless of what state you are a resident of. If you need additional help, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please check in with your professor to see if they will excuse you from class or allow you to make up work. You can also plan to vote early by requesting an absentee ballot, which you can do on TurboVote.
Email email@example.com to learn more about current opportunities to get involved. Please consider becoming an election worker (you get paid!), helping your friends register to vote, filling out a pledge card, and encouraging your friends to vote absentee. If you are interested in helping at tabling or other voting related events, fill out our volunteer interest form.
We are currently looking into shuttles from campus, and should those be available, we will make sure to add any information to this site. Uber and Lyft often offer free rides to the polls on election day as well. If you have any questions or concerns about getting to the polls, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are currently in the process of planning for Fall 2022 and will continue to update this site and VictorsLink with events happening on campus. In the meantime, make sure to save these dates:
- Friday, August 26, 2022: Go Blue Bash
- Tuesday, September 20, 2022: National Voter Registration Day
- Friday, October 28, 2022: National Vote Early Day
UM Dearborn wants to increase voter turnout in its student population for the 2022 election. You can help! A faculty champion is any professor at the UM Dearborn campus that is willing to engage their students in the voting process. This can be as simple as notifying students about important election deadlines or increasing civic engagement in classrooms by making students draw connections between themes discussed in class and voting. A faculty champion is passionate about the voting process and understands that engaging the youth is an important step to a more democratic society. We are currently updating resources for faculty to reflect this upcoming election season. We will post those materials here.
Contact the Office of Student Life at email@example.com to learn more about how to integrate civic engagement into your classroom!