At UM-Dearborn, you are issued multiple passwords, depending on the types of access requested. Passwords are required to prove (or "authenticate") your access to many University computer systems. Password security is very important! Do not share your password with anyone. You can be held responsible for actions taken by someone else if they use your account to access University systems.
UMICH - Your UMICH password is the primary password and is used to access many University systems that authenticate through UM-Ann Arbor's servers using Co-Sign. You need your UMICH password when logging into:
- Wolverine Access
- University Email
- Computer Labs and Classrooms
- Secured Wireless (XPressConnect)
- UM Marketplace (buy, sell, trade)
- Home directories/file storage
- Student Self Service through UMD-Connect
Banner - employees who use the Banner student information system are issued a password for accessing data. Requests can be submitted to email@example.com.
UMICH passwords will not be changed or reset without proper verification which includes your University of Michigan ID number. UMICH passwords can be changed by the ITS Service Desk during normal business hours. Users will be provided with a randomly generated password and can change the password at https://password.it.umich.edu/pwm/public
When to Change Your Password
You should change your password if:
- You have had the same password for more than 6 months
- You have logged onto a system in another city or campus
- You have shared your password with anyone.
- Your password does not meet recommended guidelines.
Guidelines for Choosing a Password
Passwords must be at least 9 characters
- Passwords must contain upper and lowercase letters and numbers. Numbers must be between letters.
- Do not use blank spaces.
- Passwords should be something you can easily remember, yet hard for someone else to guess. For example, a phrase like "too hot today for me" could be 2Ht2dy4me
- Passwords cannot be all numbers, and cannot contain alphabetic or numerical sequences (i.e., "cde" or "345").
- Passwords cannot be a proper name or a word recognized by any dictionary. That includes words from another language. Do not use your initials preceded or followed by numbers.
- For more information, go to:
Changing Your UMICH Password
- Using a web browser, go to https://password.it.umich.edu/pwm/public
- Click Login ID is your uniqname
- Enter your current UMICH password
- You will be prompted to complete security questions, review your answers and save.
- Enter an external email address for response if you forget your UMICH password.
- Once your security questions are set, you will see an option to change your UMICH password.
- If you do not know your UMICH password, please contact the ITS Accounts Office or the ITS Service Desk.
Changing Your Dearborn / LDAP Password
- Using a web browser go to http://directory.umd.umich.edu
- Select My Account from the gold toolbar at the top of the screen
- Type in your current Dearborn/LDAP password and click Continue
- From the General options listed on the left, select Password
- Type your current UMICH password in the box indicated
- Type your new password twice in the boxes indicated
- You will note that you can change both your Dearborn and UMICH passwords from this screen. It is suggested that you make both passwords the same. If the UMICH password option is not available and you know your UMICH password, please see Changing your UMICH Password.
- Click on Change Password to submit the change.
- The system will tell you if you were successful or that the password you selected is Too Obvious.
- If it is too obvious you will have to select a different password that conforms to the requirements.